The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There are a lot of guys in canada raising and training beagles on fox. They hold field trials up there on fox all the time, it's getting pretty popular in canada.

To tell you the truth though, any beagle with decent foot can pound a fox. It's hard to find a beagle that won't run a fox.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am kind of interested in finding out how to train one or buy a trained one I think it would be exciting I don't really wish to go with one of the larger hounds guess ill have to do some inline research on it

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have two big males right now that will run the fire out of a gray fox if I let them. It's intense.

Like John said, just about any beagle will run a fox. Especially if you encourage them too. Actually they'd run just about anything without a little "correction"

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I used to have 5-6 beagles that I ran on fox alot. I hunted alot of Sundays with those hounds. There's no real training involved, more like don't break them is all. I had a great fox chase a couple of weeks ago. I did not stop them when I finally realized what they were running. I may have a few right now...They hammered that guy for a few hours. Like running a hare. We always ran them when there was snow, so we could actually put them on a track and hope it was a gray. Reds can really straight line out of the county while a gray will run nice big loops. If I was wanting to train some hounds to run them, I would use a call and put the hounds on a fox I had called in.

·
Banned
340 Posts
I have had a bunch of running walkers over the years and they flat out will pound a red fox around the country on occasion when they actually dont hole in two minutes like usual. I would recommend attempting to run grays more then reds. Some reds circle nice, but you will have a lot better luck circling a gray then a red. We have never ran them with beagles just do to the fact that we run coyote and have the occasional red fox chase, but I dont see any issue with a nice big beagle running a lot of fox. Its pretty hard to find a beagle that at some point in its life wont just about run anything.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't know much about running fox, but I do know that Bev (Saunders) from espo magazine has done a lot of beagles on fox and has placed dogs in beagle on fox akc trials. if you belong to that board (I know Andy Purnell does) you can post her . I am sure she will be more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Have known several guys who have told me that while
hunting rabbits with beagles, have had a fox come running
by with the dogs behind them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts