The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I have a question Does it take a certain type of beagle to run a hare than it does a cotton tail or is experience more a factor? My thought would be that it would be easier to take a dog that learned on hare and have them hunt cottontail that one that learned on cottontail and take it hare hunting till it learned new scent and to match the hares stride Am I mistaken

George

·
Registered
438 Posts
from my experience a good cottontail beagle will do good on hare and only get better. My 2 beagles the first time on hare stood at my feet while the other 4 dogs pounded. Once the hare was killed and my dogs took a good whiff, it was like turning on a switch on the next hare, they all packed together just like they do on cottontail.This tells me they probably smell a bit different but it dosen't take long before they catch on.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'd say it depends on the conditions, but in general a cottontail is harder to run than a hare. Now the weather is usually worse when you go hare hunting, so if you don't have a good snow nose.....forget it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm
I, surprised that a cottontail may be harder to run I would think a hare with the longer runs and wouldn't the hare have a longer stride So the dogs would need to range farther for checks I could see where both would have a hard time switching with out experience
george

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
I've seen a couple hounds that would run a cottontail but not take a hare track. Usually during snowshoe season the running conditions are poor, often times brutal temps and frozen crust/ice. It takes hounds with good noses to be able to hold a track. I love running hare, long chases and you don't have to worry about them going in the hole.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Like the guys said, It's the conditions that generally make the ole hare more of a challenge.

I have hunted hare up north in all conditions many many times. A few times in ideal conditions, last Thanksgiving week was one and also 2 years ago in October in Vermont.
The running then is just unbelievable, no breakdows, just flat out running.
These times are really more of a test of stamina and toughness than hound quality, but boy is it fun.

Another misconception among some is that the dog runs only the track.
A big nosed dog on good conditions can be several feet off the line and just run the pants off the hare.
The ability to air scent is what seperates the really strong hare hounds on good days.

The best of these dogs can gear it way down and really concentrate when the running gets tough and still deliver.

John L

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
the same traits that make a bobcat dog a bobcat dog. run track when tey have to and air when they can. and know when to switch up, slow down, speed up.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Rabbit Runner said:
Like the guys said, It's the conditions that generally make the ole hare more of a challenge.

I have hunted hare up north in all conditions many many times. A few times in ideal conditions, last Thanksgiving week was one and also 2 years ago in October in Vermont.
The running then is just unbelievable, no breakdows, just flat out running.
These times are really more of a test of stamina and toughness than hound quality, but boy is it fun.

Another misconception among some is that the dog runs only the track.
A big nosed dog on good conditions can be several feet off the line and just run the pants off the hare.
The ability to air scent is what seperates the really strong hare hounds on good days.

The best of these dogs can gear it way down and really concentrate when the running gets tough and still deliver.

John L
exactly!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
bobcat said:
the same traits that make a bobcat dog a bobcat dog. run track when tey have to and air when they can. and know when to switch up, slow down, speed up.
exactly !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts