The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear some others thoughts on whether beagles can be obedient. I have very little experience witht the breed, never owned one. But friends beagles have never seemed to be very biddable. They seem aloof when off the chain or out of the kennel and sometimes ignore their owner. Especially frustrating when its a house dog that gets let out to do its business and you have to watch it like a hawk.

Not to mention the garbage raiders and corner poopers.

Not saying that a beagle cannot be biddable, just looking for input from those with alot of experience.

Also, where would one look for a pup from a line that is known for its obedience and hunting ability?

Is there a difference between females and males concerning obedience?

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
They CAN be headstrong. You have to be just as headstrong as them. Consistency is important. You also need to realize they are led by the nose. A tie out is nice to have. I have an invisible fence. There are very few truly bad beagles, just poor trainers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My little girl listens very good. But when she is hunting she can and will be head strong and sometimes stubborn.
I believe the more time you spend with them(not running or hunting time) the better they will listen!
JMO!! John

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
They can be obedient if you work with them and train them to be. I can call my beagle off a rabbit in the yard when he starts to chase without his shock collar on. Yes he is still stubborn with the collar even on and occasional training sessions remind him who is still in charge.

I look at how a dog behaves as the reflection of the owner, just like with kids and the parents. Not saying there isn't any apples out there that are just bad to core, but with work a beagle will behave (puppy stage excluded). A well behaved dog makes hunting more enjoyable, its also a safety consideration for the dog.

I cannot say that i have ever looked at a beagle line for obedience. I don;t think its ever crossed my mind. Its always been about the drive and the hunt. Personally i think females have more attitude then males, especially ones that are not fixed, just like the two legged kind.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My experience has been the opposite of treed
Any dogs that I have had that were more hard to handle were young males.

My dogs learn to listen pretty quick or else.

As far as a line that listens better than another, man that's a tough one.
My ole Abby is an Eaton Brook dog and you never need a leash with her or have to tie her out when you let her in the yard. Maggie listens almost perfectly but her mother Lacy can be headstrong at times.

John L

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I demand my dogs to listen...beagles and my walkers. I don't leash them most of the time unless I'm by roads. I never have to look for a dog. I get this even when I run my whole pack of 11 beagles. This does not come without lots of work. It's all worth it when you hunt though. When I load dogs at the end of a hunt they will stand at the back of the truck and wait their turn. Most guys that hunt with me can't believe they handle so well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I demand my dogs to listen
darn right ;I know people who are always yelling for their dogs
I don't leash them most of the time unless I'm by roads.
. same here
This does not come without lots of work. It's all worth it when you hunt though. When I load dogs at the end of a hunt they will stand at the back of the truck and wait their turn.
;)mine too
I went hare hunting 2 yrs ago with a 7 yr old female that never had an e-collar on ; only thing she would not want to quit most of the time ; I used an e-collar on her twice that trip and now she comes to me no problem
even without the collar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts