The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive raised beagles all my life and sold out a few years ago. This spring i got the itch again. Got a good 4 year old female beagle. And i just picked up a 7 month old male which is running pretty decent already. My ? Is wat can i try to make em work together. She will pick up a trail and he will work on his own.ive always like my dogs to run together. Any suggestions or asvice would b appeeciated thanx.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would say it will come with time. I have seen several guys say to keep one leashed while the other one runs a rabbit. Keep him on the lead until he can't take listening to her run anymore then let him go.

I've never tried this, just what I've heard. Mostly time i would say though.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Kenneling them together may help.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The first dog I ever owned was ran by himself for over a year and when I started running with other guys he wouldn't pack either. It took about 3 months of working with him on it and finally it clicked. I did like smoke n mack said and kept him on a lead and got to where he could sight chase the rabbit and have the pack come in running. I also did like Cris said and I kenneled him with a friends dog. It might take some time but it will happen.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Varmint,

The fellows above give good advice and everyone of them have a lot more experience than I do, but this is what I learned this summer...

Both of my gyps started easily at six months. The timid one, however, would not hunt, would not hark or run with other dogs. If she would run with others, she would run back to me at the first loss. After 3 1/2 months it wasn't getting any better. I was at wits end. I was ready to break her off rabbits and teach her to be a leashed blood tracking dog.

Experienced beaglers told me she would probably grow out of it.

I left her at caxtell's starting pen for 20 days where she learned to find her own rabbit and run with unfamiliar hounds. I took her to running when I got her back and was amazed.

She harked to other hounds and is running on her own. She leads the pack, and holds the line pretty well for a hound with Midwest and lp breeding.

So what I learned....

PATIENCE!!!!

Once your pup learns that the rabbit stink is in front of the barking hound, you'll be all set.

Good luck with your hounds.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Lick Glad she's doing well. I told you she was fast. you should try her in a little pack hunt if she doesn't rattle the sticks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts