The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend Sunday the 23rd I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to meet a fellow Hpa'er "bearklr" at his beagle club. I can't thank Eric enough for all of his time and tips that he gave me on Sunday. It was a great experience.

We started off our morning around 9 o'clock taking my pup out solo at first. Within the first 15 minutes we kicked up a rabbit and brought the pup over to the trail we saw the rabbit head down. After a couple minutes of him sniffing around I heard him open up for the first time. It was the first time I had heard him make a sound other than a few whimpers when I used to put him in his crate. I had a smile from ear to ear. I was waiting for this moment all along and it was finally here. We spent another hour or so trying to get him on a few more rabbits before Eric brought his dog out to see how Luka (my pup) would learn from him. After we had them on a few rabbits which we thought to have holed up, we finally got them on a good chase. We kicked up a rabbit and both dogs were off. I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear as I heard the dogs sounding off. This was the best chase of the day as they circled the rabbit right back to us. The first rabbit my pup ever circled, although it was with a lot of help from Eric's dog I was still so proud of how he performed that day. I couldn't ask for anything more for Christmas.

Luka and I still have a lot of work to do but I'm so happy at how quickly he is learning. Thanks again Eric.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Definitely a day I will never forget. Hopefully my next update will be a picture of Luka and myself, and the first rabbit we put down together.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Perry, I just wanted to thank you for the chance to go out with your pup as well. There's nothing like being part of a day like that and I had a great time. I was really glad you brought your Dad along too. He seemed to be like a kid again remembering back to when he had dogs of his own many years ago. The two of you are going to make a lot of great memories thanks to that little pup of yours. I was amazed at how much he caught on by the end of the day. It didn't take him long to get out of play mode and into hunting mode after I got Chase out of the crate. He also started learning that when he heard Chase bark that there must be a rabbit and he went to find him which was really nice to see, he'll be harking in like you saw Chase do in no time. On a final note I have to give a lot of credit to Luka on that full circle and not Chase. While they were both on the rabbit hot and heavy going away from us we could hear them go silent when they lost the first check. The coolest part was that it was Luka and his deep chop bark who found the check and came up over the hill by himself on the trail. It was Chase who actually had to do the catching up and help finish out the run. You have a good dog on your hands and with time he'll be able to bring plenty of rabbits back to the gun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric, thanks again for having us. I don't think my dad has stopped talking about it still. He spent most of his time during Christmas telling all of our relatives all about that Sunday morning. But then again I would be lying if I said I wasn't talking about it the whole time myself. It really brought him back to when he was a kid and would hunt with his dogs. After you brought chase out I was so relieved that Luka actually went into hunting mode because I thought he was going to just try and fool around with Chase for the rest of the day. He tends to terrorize my parents lab so I was hoping he wouldn't think it was play time in the field.
I was definitely proud of him on that full circle. When I saw him running down that fence row and then we looked down and the rabbit was coming up the path in front of us, that's when I realized they hadn't lost it and they were circling him back. I sure didn't expect him to pick up that quickly. And when that rabbit ran right past us not even 10 yds away, man that made me smile. Thanks again Eric. I hope to join the club and get Luka out there with Chase again soon.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Lol...i was just as happy to see all that. I knew they didn't lose that rabbit,I was just hoping they'd stay on it. I also knew he'd get out of wanting to play with chase but it would take a little. All pups have playing on their mind but once bunnies start going up their hunt instincts overtake their play instincts. You'll soon find that just about nothing will take their minds off of rabbits once they get into it. We'll definitely stay in touch and get the dogs out again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts