The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting rabbits at swatara st. park today & roscoe was lagging behind in the brush...or so I thought... .I hit him with the e-collar and he yelped ...but did not move...I walked over to him and he was sitting under a pine tree...with a cable restraint around his neck.
He's a calm beagle and was not pulling on it so I took a few pics. He tried to come to me and was choking a little whern he pulled hard. I seen it had a stop on it. Not sure if it was set far enough up to be legal. There was no tag or ID around anywhere. I just wrapped it in the branches and got out of there. I'm thinking he could have choked to death if he would have wrapped it around or jumped over the branches above him. he was only in it a few minutes luckily.
and is OK...I don't care if it was legal....I don't like them

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
duke , illegal ,call a wco . thatset has entanglement all around . the height would be hard to tell as that goes by how it was when set . do the right thing and call the proper authorities . glad the dog is ok

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to call the WCO tomorrow morning...As I was getting the dogs into my truck & ready to leave the area a guy pulls up and gets out in all camo...he walks behind my truck and looks at a map of the area on a post and then he walks to his trk. ..did not see him after that ..Did not say a word to me...could have been his snare. I looked around but he was not heading to where the snare was at...unless he had others....or he was just predator hunting at night...It was almost dark...I hope the snare is still there tomorrow ..I'll be camped out till someone shows up to check it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
As the other posters have said, that is an illegally set cable restraint. Mainly because of the entanglement all around and also because of the lack f an ID tag.

Please report this to your local WCO. People like whoever illegally set the device give us all a bad name.

I'm glad your beagle was uninjured.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Glad your dog is ok!

Also thanks to the Trapper guys who have chimed in on this, as I would have no idea if it was legal or not. As a dog owner it is nice to see everyone working together to get this illegaly set trap out of the woods. They are fortunate this ended in a good way.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thank goodness you were there, glad no harm came to the dog.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Rober said:
Glad your dog is ok!

Also thanks to the Trapper guys who have chimed in on this, as I would have no idea if it was legal or not. As a dog owner it is nice to see everyone working together to get this illegaly set trap out of the woods. They are fortunate this ended in a good way.
you are welcome . we trappers get labled badly , however as most of us are pet owners , we do expect things to be done lawfully to protect everyones pet

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most trappers are great people and don't want dogs caught in their sets... The 1st area I hunted at sat. there was a guy & his son walking down the rd. ..coming from the area I wanted to hunt. They said they had set traps in the area..I asked where and told them I would avoid that area altogether. Nice guy to let me know and I had no problem with him trapping there. Hope he catches a yote
I could not find a # for the local WCO
nobody works sunday at the GC I suppose. I remembered though that DCNR patrols the park...stopped at the office but nobody there .So I went to the spot and removed the snare. The idiot that set this has not checked it in a week at least ..no footprints in the snow other than mine. Now it will never catch anyones dog again

·
Registered
269 Posts
Should have a name on snare, (cable restraint).In pa. you have to take a cable restraint class, and pass it to set cable restraints.They have to be tagged with proper ID or number on them.Either this person don't care, or maybe don' t know any better.I would diffently had him in.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That would be the problem with snares...so cheap that anyone can set them w/o care of checking or legality.
Glad your dog was lucky.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thank God you were there. We run a lot of risks while hunting. Nice looking dog as well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts