The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a beagle be an indoor dog and also be a good hunting dog??I an just getting into beagles and have alot of questions....

Thank you, Daron

·
Registered
499 Posts
My two beagles live in the house and hunt.They seem no different then all the hounds I kept outside. One thing I will say is don't get a Patch Hound and keep in the house. My Lemon is a Non Stop shedding machine. My tri color hardly sheds at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
absolutely ... my good buddy (he posts on here) in fact i predict that SgtUSMC will be posting in 3..2..1 haha

but he has 2 beagles that live in the house - inside or outside if they are hunters they are going to hunt - no difference

·
Registered
143 Posts
my dogs are kept outside all season. they are cared for as if they were inside house pets. but my concern is the ticks after running them. We run the dogs all year long to keep them in shape. And it seems the ticks are getting worse eery year.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It will definitely not hurt their hunt. It will without a doubt make them less able to handle bad weather/conditions. Next year all of my dogs that I count on will be outside and ready for cold feet.... John do you notice a difference?

·
Registered
499 Posts
midvalleyBeagler said:
my dogs are kept outside all season. they are cared for as if they were inside house pets. but my concern is the ticks after running them. We run the dogs all year long to keep them in shape. And it seems the ticks are getting worse eery year.
The ticks are an Issue , but I just check them each time I run them. Usually spray them down also after checking them. The real problem with mine is that they are Major Bed hogs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My beagle is a house dog. She gets a bath after almost every hunt because I do not want those ticks and/or fleas in the house. I also imagine my son doesn't want them in his bed as she sleeps in his bed just about every night.

·
Registered
785 Posts
at this time i have 14 beagles in my livingroom. 6 adults,2 3mo olds and 6 7 week old pups.being in doors makes them handle a lot better and they hunt great. the cold does not bother them in the field.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If they have hunt in them I believe they will do there job if kept inside or out

Mine are both outside but are treated like house dogs with the attention they are shown my dogs arent just let out of the kennel to hunt they are out everyday and are played with regardless and in return they both handle very well!! inside or out if you dont show them the attention and train them to handle then your gonna be in for a long haul

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hunted with indoor beagles for years and they performed just as well as outside dogs. Ours didn't seem to mind the cold one bit either. When they're in the field they seemed to be so focused on rabbits that they ignore everything else...including their owners LOL.

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Never had a hound that lived in the house. Everything is kept outside in the kennel. Our dogs aren't "pets" so to speak. Stictly gun dogs for hunting.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Andy Purnell said:
It will definitely not hurt their hunt. It will without a doubt make them less able to handle bad weather/conditions. Next year all of my dogs that I count on will be outside and ready for cold feet.... John do you notice a difference?
Andy

Never did notice any difference while hunting even before we moved and kept 2 inside full time except when we were at work.

Since we moved and built the new kennel, they are outside just about all the time.
The wife had housebroken 3 of them and once or twice a week one gets to stay in. (Mostly Maggie of course)

Doesn't seem to hurt them at all as far as toughness goes but it's only once in a while too.

John L

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
beagler said:
Never had a hound that lived in the house. Everything is kept outside in the kennel. Our dogs aren't "pets" so to speak. Stictly gun dogs for hunting. [/quote

same here....years ago my dad and I hunted with a friend that had 2 beagles indoors all the time. Both were rabbit chasing machines...but when the snow and ice came they turned into sissies also. They hated the cold.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
My next one will be a pet and a rabbit runner. Right now all of mine are outside dogs but my 5 year old son wants the next one so he'll be indoors. The last beagle we kept indoors ran the tail off a rabbit no matter how cold or if there was snow or ice on the ground. I think it all depends on the dog and how much you get him out in the cold and the snow.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Kept two beagles inside and they loved hunting in the cold...snow....rain....etc etc...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I am saying that after 3-4 hours running hard in 5 degree weather with the wind whipping below zero, in chest deep snow the outside dog is still gonna be going and not as uncomfortable. Some Men don't do so well in it either.....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
haha andy when i was reading the first part of the post i thought you were talkin about yourself

1 - 20 of 51 Posts