The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first say that I'm starting this post for everyone to do some quiet reflecting of their own life and NOT as a crying towel for me.

Things can change in your life in the blink of an eye.
Last June I was doing some work on the house to save the landlord from having to come out and do some work that I was capable of doing.
As i was coming down the ladder, it pitched off to the right and I went to the left. Just out of reaction I stuck my arm out to try and catch myself and put my arm right through the window.
There was instant blood and pain as I hit the ground.To make this short I ended up severing every nerve and tendon on the inside of my left wrist.
A rushed trip to the hospital and then to Pittsburgh for surgery.
In the blink of an eye my life changed.I have been out of work since then,still go to therapy 3 times a week.
I almost lost my hand completely that day but the doctors did a great job with it.

Coming back from the hospital was a whole new learning experience for me.Being left handed I had to retrain myself in using my right hand.Everything that you take for granted everyday was gone.
From putting on my pants,tying my boots,writing,dispensing shaving cream to shaving,all the little things were now changed.Even now,I can't type with both hands.
I've gotten the use of my left hand back,but there is still no feeling in most of my fingers.reduced grip strength as well.

The simple things as a sportsman that we do every day without thinking was gone.
Trying to shoot a rifle or shotgun without being able to feel the trigger or as to how much pressure you are applying to it.
Being able to hold a bow let alone pulling the string back to full draw.
Holding a turkey call and trying to get the right pitch out of it because you can't grip the striker right.
Holding and casting a rod not being able to feel the line in your fingers.

I'm coming along,I can now shoot a bow again,use a rod and reel,work a call but still awkward.I can dress my self with no help,tie my own boots,work a fillet knife.

So when life gets you down,you get a little jealous of what others might have,can't go here or there,just stop a minute and reflect back on to what is really important.

I spent more time this past season with my grand kids.Because I couldn't do for me didn't mean I couldn't use my mouth and mind to help teach a new hunter.Spending that time with them that I might not of before my injury is priceless.

So the next time life is getting you down,just sit down,relax,and think about life and what you might be able to do different to maybe help change the life for the better of someone you know.
Time doesn't cost you a dime and it's really all we got that truely matters.
So enjoy these days,spend some more time with family and friends,and quit rushing around so much.
God gave us a great gift in mother earth,and each other,so lets not waste it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
kinda ties into a study of Collosians i'm working on in small group right now. spot on post man. keep it up!

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Very good post Puppyhunter. Be thankful. My life was changed too in Clearfield County PA. About 17 years ago. I have tried to be thankful for everyday given to me since then.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have been there the last -oh--almost four years. Just comming around. almost four years no hunting ,trapping,fishing! It was real hard when friends would call and tell me what buck they got or other story. Yet gratitude is the lesson the Almighty has taught me over those days.Between new medication and a new grandson(and one on the way). I am more motivated than ever.
Do Not give up you will come out the other end and be a better man because of It.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
26,970 Posts
Very nice post! Thanks for sharing with us, and for the great reminder on how our lives can change so quickly!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Alot of truth there !! Makes you realize whats important in this short life we have. Good Luck and I hope you continue to keep getting better!

·
Banned
265 Posts
When I found out that I could only walk 50 yards if I was wearing an oxygen tank, and that my heart was in trouble I figured that hunting was going to be impossible. I told my best pal and hunting buddy that I wouldn't be doing much huunting and why and he rem inded me that I had taken hinm hunting his very first time over thirty years ago and he wasn't goping to let me sit at home. On opening day he dragged, gutted, and loaded my eight point buck on the roof of my Jeep. If there is anything that I am thankful for it is the friendship of this one good man. I guesas that what goes around comes around is true. I dragged and gutted HIS first deer the first year I took him out. The Lord does work in mysterious ways!

Terry

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
great post! Saw a horrible accident yesterday and it has me doing some soul searching, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Time doesn't cost you a dime and it's really all we got that truely matters.
So enjoy these days,spend some more time with family and friends,and quit rushing around so much.
God gave us a great gift in mother earth,and each other,so lets not waste it.

Excellent post!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good post puppyhunter...it seems like every now and then we all need a reminder not to take life for granted, and how quick things can change. My folks always told me the good Lord will never give you more than you can handle, so keep up the good fight, and thanks for posting a good reminder for all of us.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Lewellen said:
When I found out that I could only walk 50 yards if I was wearing an oxygen tank, and that my heart was in trouble I figured that hunting was going to be impossible. I told my best pal and hunting buddy that I wouldn't be doing much huunting and why and he rem inded me that I had taken hinm hunting his very first time over thirty years ago and he wasn't goping to let me sit at home. On opening day he dragged, gutted, and loaded my eight point buck on the roof of my Jeep. If there is anything that I am thankful for it is the friendship of this one good man. I guesas that what goes around comes around is true. I dragged and gutted HIS first deer the first year I took him out. The Lord does work in mysterious ways!

Terry
i too have had problems in the recent past. and like you i have that one special person who was there for me. i had pretty much given up on hunting, as my life was in chaos. the person who helped to bring me back and give me something positive to do in life is a member of this site(diablo666). he may not know how important it was that he did this, he probably will now. all i can say is thank you. my life is getting better now and his actions have had alot to do with that. i hope to continue to hunt with him for the next 25 years.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Great post, and it does make you think. Good Luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts