The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I travelled the I-64, I-295, I-95 corridor from Va.Beach to Fredericksburg this past weekend. I think of that jaunt as "Battlefield Row". Williamsburg, Richmond, Chickahominy, Cold Harbor, Chancellorville, Spotsylvania, Seven Pines, The Wilderness, Fredericksburg. Man the history there, and the relics that are still buried under that ground. I often think of what can be uncovered detecting these areas, though I know they're mostly off limits. Can you imagine those detectors lighting up in and around Gettysburg ? I'm sure the park service hired folks to detect the park, in order to uncover relics for posterity and museums. Lordy what must still be buried under that ground, not to mention what can be found as technology has expanded the range of modern detectors.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
My mind has been in the same place while driving the same areas! It is a travesty how much history is rotting in the ground and will never be viewed by millions in museums. I just recently had a major disagreement in Harrisburg over this topic. They were destroying a 900X100 strip to put in a parking lot. That strip happened to be located in a very famous Fort area loaded with history. Trees came down, topsoil piled up to be hauled away. I approached some people and asked to do some quick detecting(their project all happened in less than a week from start to finish!) and donate ALL items back to them. This was a 3 day attempt to gain permission, where I tried to plead with them and show them the errors of their way. Their attitudes were disgusting and all they could keep saying was "in no way will we ever allow detectors to be used here on our grounds". I thanked them for ruining the grounds, discarding all the history into dump trucks and left. I approached the trucking company to find out where that soil was going and sadly it was being used to fill in sinkholes in the surrounding areas, all on private property owned by the city of Harrisburg, a city who is also 100% NO GO with detectors. They even have a policy against it within city limits. Total disgrace. ok i'm off my soapbox

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the folks you were trying to sway, probably watched those two buffoons on that detecting show they had a few years back. I forget the name of it, and think it's off TV now ? They'd hoop, holler, run and roll on the ground like idiots.

AHHHHHHH !!! AHHHHHHHH !!!! LOOOOOOOKKKKK. I FOUND A PULL TAB !!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
Their attitudes were disgusting and all they could keep saying was "in no way will we ever allow detectors to be used here on our grounds"
This is most likely because they fear that a significant find would delay their precious project. It happens.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'll bet if they could figure out a way of taxing the chance of your finds of possible relics , they'd of rolled out the Red Carpet ...

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tax ? Heck, they can probably take ownership of it. You know, like how France/Spain, etc... tries to take ownership of 300 yr old gold found on the ocean floor ? Who the heck knows all the laws with things like this. Attorneys can muck it all up for sure.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I don't know much about projects like above ... but don't they have to do a study/dig before any construction ? I realize this dosen't help private guys like you.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Surveyor brings up a great point, I never thought of that. You find something with historical value, project stops, costing a bunch of money. I would agree with that 100%.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Most projects involving any earth disturbance permits generally are required to be reviewed by Pa Historical Museum Commission for above ground and potential for below ground resources. For private individuals I think the burden is on PHMC to prove it... for State agencies, penndot for example, PHMC makes the tax payers pay for studies, excavation and mitigation.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It is true that Preliminary studies are conducted on the surface prior to excavation. However, once the earth moving has begun, imagine how much easier it would be to uncover artifacts. I've been on sites where the initial study turned up nothing but after that agency left, things were recovered once the demolition work had begun.

·
Registered
436 Posts
For a project 100'x900' there weren't likely any historical reviews unless it is in a High Quality or Exceptional Value watershed. The initial review is typically just a desktop study which you can basically do here: https://www.dot7.state.pa.us/crgis

If there is a potential for cultural or historical significance they would initiate an initial study and so on and so forth until you've got archaeologists with dust brushes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts