The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Willie out today for a quick hunt at the local Gamelands. He loves to bust brush. In fact he would rather go through the thickets than a nice grass field. So he gets a little bloody from the briars when we go out. Today was much different though.

Willie caught his ear pretty good on something. It was dripping blood at a good rate and wherever his ear flopped it splattered all over him. Once I saw what was going on I made my back to the truck. Willie didn't care and just kept hunting. It was like blood trailing a deer.

When we got back to the truck it looked like the bleeding had stopped and was drying on the tip of his ear. He jumped into the back seat just like normal and I closed the door. Walked around the truck and jumped into teh drivers seat. I turned around to look at him and noticed a large patch of fresh blood all over his side. Then I saw drips on my back seat and gun case which was on the floor in the back. I looked at his ear and saw it was dripping fast again. I grabbed some napkins and jumped out and opened the back door of the truck. I put pressure on the wound and noticed that there was blood all over the back seat, the ceiling, on the back of the front seats, everywhere. He must have shook his head after getting into the truck. 20 mins later the bleeding stopped and we went home.

Anyone else want to share some stories?

The results from today. I left out some of the more graphic pictures. Notice his collar is red. It's normally bright orange.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Cut ears are a tough one. They just like to bleed and bleed. And when you think it's done the dog shakes his head and it starts again.

At least it looks like you had some luck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds about right. I've never seen so much blood from a dog before.

Yeah we got one and I missed one, and also flushed a hen. Willie was doing well today with some strong points in the fence rows.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Dogs getting beat up is part of the deal. Ears bleed like crazy! My pointers split their tails when they get in the thickets and then spray blood up all over their sides as they hunt, its a mess. My brothers pointer got tangled up in Constantine wire(razor fence the military uses) that was left in the woods while running her on an Army training grounds, that was a real mess!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If my beagles aren't bleeding from the ears and tail they are in trouble.

I have a male that got injured by a stick last year while running a rabbit. He ended up losing his tongue over the deal. I hope I never top that one somehow.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yea, my Britt cut her ear last year. I asked the forum if anyone had a suggestion to protect her ears. Some said a sock but I couldn't figure out how that would work. I got some self-adhesive bandage wrap. I thought I could use that to protect her ears. It lasted about five minutes. I take styptic now to stop the bleeding.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dax did the same thing last fall...so much blood. I tried bandages but they didnt do much good at all. On a dog forum someone suggested super glue, I had to glue his ear tip and re-aply about once a day for a few days. Took a little bit but it healed up. There was blood all over the walls though and even the ceiling....no fun

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've superglued my GSP more times than I care to recall. Ears and nails. The worst bleeding was when she found a soup can and cut her tongue. Had to hold direct pressure on it for about 20 minutes to get it to stop. She ripped her side open on a bolt of a trampoline. 27 stitches and a nice scar. Tore a pad. Nice vet bill, and chewed off the bandages and reopened it in less than 12 hours. During last weeks hunt, she came up lame on her left front paw. She had a stick in it behind the large pad. Got her home to pull it out and noticed that it was pushing on the skin on top of her paw. Another trip to the vet to have it removed. It was about 1/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" long. She hunted the whole way back to the truck.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
One of my Dads buddies had a Bluetick Coonhound that he kept in his house.......we walked in there one day, and it looked like someone got murdered in his living room.......the dog had got ahold of a CP Swing fishing lure, and got it stuck in his lip........he was running around the house trying to shake the lure out of his lip, and he had blood smeared everywhere......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts