The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older polaris that I put a plow on, it lifts by the winch,if I use it for 4-5 hours the battery starts to loose power( will lift slow or not at all) it is a new battery(small motorcycle type) should I up grade the battery to a car size one??

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
My atv seldom gets used and the battery would always be dead or low even with new batteries. I finally bought a trickle charger and leave it hooked up all the time. Been good to go since.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It shouldn't be the battery IMO. Could it be thee stator not charging or not designed for the extra power needed for the winch

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A winch uses a ton of power. The little batteries aren't made more that kind of draw with alot of use.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
YZEATER said:
A winch uses a ton of power. The little batteries aren't made more that kind of draw with alot of use.
You are right. My winch uses more power than the alternator puts out. It will kill a battery with constant use.

I am going to buy a new battery for my Teryx. Most of the guys on the TeryxForum and TeryxHq who use a winch have upgraded to bigger / more powerful batteries. Most prefer the Optima batteries but there are other options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts