The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 2009 with a 92K miles on it. How long can i expect the factory battery to last. I headed out west for 2 wks and don't want to be stuck?

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
If it's a 60 month battery it should last 5 years gotta look on the battery to see how many months it has if it only has 4 I'd change it

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Some top brand batteries will last 6 or 7 years but they do not have the strength at 6 years that they did brand new..Take it to a small battery shop and get it load tested..Or you could buy a jump starter pack to take with you..Sears makes reliable ones..

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
KingRon said:
How long can i expect the factory battery to last.
Never ever think how long a battery will last, its bad Karma.

About a month ago I asked the same question about the one in my truck until I came out of the doctor's office ..Starter no cranky two days later. I had to call Maw to bring the jumper cables.

It now have a nice new clean $158 thingy in the engine compartment!

Bill

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It doesn't matter what shape the rest of the truck is in if you have a weak battery. Your getting near the end of it's life, if you were staying local it would be no big deal to stretch it longer. But why take chances with your trip. We all know how quickly the weather can change out West. Change the battery for your own peace of mind. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
my work truck is 2009 and it went dead today after leaving the radio on for a hour. second time this summer. replaced it today, I don't want to have to deal with it when it gets cold.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 08 ram die after I backed it out of the garage 2wk ago.It started find set in driveway 1day and was dead.Put in a new deka the only battery I will buy anymore.

·
Super Moderator
4,535 Posts
My last battery was almost 9 years old when I replaced it in 13'... Did it for peace of mind and just got lucky.... Even the guys at the shop said I got lucky!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had to replace a battery with a dead cell on a 2009 Tahoe with 86,000 mi. You'd be wise to go ahead and change that battery on your own terms. We had to use AAA in a hotel parking lot.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
Original battery in the old girl's 2006 Colorado lasted 7 years from new. I figure if ya get 6 years out of an OEM battery, you're ahead of the game?

Then again, the battery in my hunting camp IH tractor wasn't new when I bought the tractor in 2005, has needed recharged several times due to "neglect" and is still going. Haven't had the charger on it since last spring.

Probably be stone dead when I go up next week?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I change all mine every 5 years regardless. Especially with the diesel, don't want to jack up my FICM on the superduty!

Cheap insurance

·
Registered
185 Posts
When you understand that the batteries job is only to start the vehicle, then anything asked of it after that is just wearing it out prematurely.
20 years ago, we didn't have automatic starters, many of the key fob door openers, computers - On Star - that runs all the time.
Batteries today are a crap shoot, some might last 8 years while others only lasts about 5.
The Battery in the 09 Avalanche I drove went about a month ago.
I got about 6 years out of the battery in the '06 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, but it wasn't driven all the time...

I think they would last a lot longer if I put them on a battery tender when the vehicle is not in use in the winter.

Actually, batteries fails more in the summer then in the winter..

When the mercury rises, a car battery's strength goes down.
Extreme heat, like 95° F outside combined with high temperatures under the hood, accelerates corrosion of car batteries.
Heat causes the water to evaporate out of battery fluid, breaking down the battery grids.
Weak batteries can struggle on for months, turning over the engine while it's easy to start and generate a charge. The real test comes when temperatures drop. A weakened battery has to overcome cold temperatures and a harder-to-crank engine because the cold thickened the engine's oil. The heat's attack lowered the battery's starting power, meaning someone's going to have to call for a jump-start and a replacement battery -- unless you get there first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts