The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on a battery charger. Need one to use on the 4wheeler, lawn tractor, farm tractor, game feeder, truck..
lead acid or lithium, reasonably priced.
Thanks for any info
(Some one recommended a Genius brand, but not sure which one.)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking if they're' draining when he's away from camp . I have one for my riding mower and one for the SXS . They have worked great for 12 years .

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess i need a regular charger. I can't afford to a charger on all 6 lead acid batteries that i have plus there is no power to the barn where we keep most of the equipment. Should i disconnect the batteries if I won't be up at the cabin for a month or 2> (winter)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I would . If possible , take them with you and charge them at home . That many batteries could get way more expressive than a charger if you have to keep replacing them . A friend has multiple machines in his garage and has a large Battery Tender that has seperate leads to each machine .

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If your not familiar with the Battery Tender concept , it stays connected to the battery when NOT in use and only turns on when the battery voltage drops below a certain number . When it reaches a full charge , it turns itself off again till needed . They keep batteries in good condition for much longer lives than hitting them with a regular charger every so often . In my experiences anyway .

·
Registered
10,484 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the solarpowered version? Not at camp from Dec to april. Would like to keep a charge on the quad. Barn has power but we don't want to leave the power on that long unattended

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Wald Jager said:
Does anyone have any experience with the solarpowered version? Not at camp from Dec to april. Would like to keep a charge on the quad. Barn has power but we don't want to leave the power on that long unattended
I put two on last fall. No complaints. The one I was primary concerned about was on a 15 year old Honda that has had winter battery problems in the past. None this past winter. Likely getting a third this summer.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
bearhollow said:
Wald Jager said:

I put two on last fall. No complaints. The one I was primary concerned about was on a 15 year old Honda that has had winter battery problems in the past. None this past winter. Likely getting a third this summer.
What model and wattage are you using?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a noco 2.5 watt (amazon, $25) and a battery tender 5 watt (amazon, $50). I put the 5 watt on the machine that gets the least sun in the winter. In good light the noco may be all you need. I got a cable extender for the noco so I could put the panel in a better location and the connector doesn't seem to fit right. Only complaint on the noco. The noco also has a nice led light that shows the battery charge and if the panel is generating power. I wired the cable tags directly to the battery rather than the clamps or lighter connections.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts