The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have two basswood in my front yard and they're a lot smoother than the tulip poplars around here. I hate those trees and can't wait to cut em' down this spring.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does basswood produce a berry in the fall?I have a couple trees on my property that I think might be basswood but I`m not sure.Whats the best thing to look for?I tried looking on the internet for pics but it wasn`t much help.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they had leaves on I could tell by the pics I looked up.I couldn`t find a good pic of one in the winter time.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I took a couple pics of what I think is a basswood tree.Let me know if you can tell if it is or not.The second pic its the one in the middle.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Forestman3 said:
Bearlr take a picture if you can and post it please.
I'll try and take one when I get home. Mine don't look like the pics posted. Mine have smaller trunks that branch out. The leaves look the same though and the bark is smoother. I believe their called Linden trees as well which makes sense now that I think about it. We have a Linden Street in town here so I'm guessing there used to be quite a few in the area. From what I was told the last owners didn't plant them. They just started growing and they decided to leave them alone.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
It's hard to tell what it is, But it does not look like an ash tree to me.
If you don't know what a basswood looks like, wait for leaves to come and it's much easier 'till you get a little more experience. Basswood/linden is a pretty easy one.
It's fun to get to know as many trees as you can.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The funny thing is I worked in the woods for around ten years.I know most of the trees but I might know it as another name.I`m hopeing that if some of it grows on my property to cut it before the sap come up so it will dry faster and can make strecters for next year.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Forestman3..... If I'm not mistaken Basswood comes from the Linden tree, In the Spring it gets kind of little white fuzzy flower like things on it. Bird carvers use a lot of basswood.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Think you found some there.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
the leaf is kind of heart-shaped, with one of the round parts beside the stem being a bit bigger than the other side. Look around the trunk and you may find some from last year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts