The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Bass Pro cancels military discounts

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RobOz 
#1 ·
this is from another forum. Bass Pro no longer offers military discounts on firearms.

the discount is good on the rest of the store but not firearms. I will not buy from bass pro until they reinstate the discount for our brothers and sisters in the military.

#2 ·
Unfortunately, you'll be waiting a long time. Firearms historically have the smallest markup of sporting goods items.
On a big store closeout, I kept warning customers not to expect firearms to get the same markdowns as the other items.
Our final sale was to a small firearms shop that bought firearms at a price lower then their normal price. When the savers came the guns were all sold and I had a nice 50 % off sign posted.
Where are all the guns? Oh, they were all sold. That was the only way we could sell guns at the customers price preference.
They were all sold!

#6 ·
Because a corporate "for profit" company made the decision to stop losing money by no longer selling guns at less than cost, you want to boycott them?

Instead of being appreciative at the benefit extended to the military that no other retailer gave, you want to boycott them? Why punish them for at least temporarily going the extra mile for vets?

Seems counterproductive at best.

#7 ·
slavage said:
No retailers do
Dunhams actually dosent offer any military discount at all..
Kind of funny if you have a giant eagle advantage card you get 10% off
Maybe this is a PA thing and varies from store to store, but the Dunhams they put in down here in NC does offer 10% for military (firearms and ammunition excluded).

#8 ·
Dunhams in Lebanon and Carlisle both provide a 10% military discount. But not on firearms.

And as a retiree, I will still take any BPS discount they offer, even if they don't do it on firearms. There are not many places left that even offer a discount, so any one I can get, I will take and appreciate!

#9 ·
zimmerstutzen said:
Because a corporate "for profit" company made the decision to stop losing money by no longer selling guns at less than cost, you want to boycott them?

Instead of being appreciative at the benefit extended to the military that no other retailer gave, you want to boycott them? Why punish them for at least temporarily going the extra mile for vets?

Seems counterproductive at best.
they wouldn't lose anything by giving a 10% discount, they still make money. a 10% mark up in a guns only shop would hurt them big time. a $900.00 gun would profit 90 bucks, they would have to sell a lot of guns. the mark up has to be better.

those men and women in the military risk their lives everyday for all of us.

standing with them is the least we can do for the service they gave.

#10 ·
Ad in todays paper had Gander mountain advertising $50.00 off 549.00 guns, and I bet they make money on each sale. if you look at their flyer on line they are offering 25% off of rifles, shotguns and handguns, still making money.

no reason bass pro cant do the same.

#11 ·
That is 25% off MSRP which puts GM right in the everyday price of most of the guns that are on sale. Their Red Tag price on a Glock 22 is 585 bucks, that is hardly a deal. It's all slick advertising to make the consumer feel they are getting a deal. Caveat Emptor.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.