The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused about the no bass fishing rule.??? Can someone tell me where you can and where you can't catch bass in Pa. I never kill bass so it has always been catch and release for me anyway but would like to know the rule in detail. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Since Pa did away with the closed season back in the late 90's. It has been legal to fish for bass state wide year round - the only "no-no" was casting to bedded fish(like they ever enforce that
) They adopted some new sizes + limits and for the most part the old "closed season" became the C+R only season. Which is pretty much the way it is today .. with the exception of the "new this year" regulation making the lower Susky(from Sunbury down+tribs)C+R "only" during the old regular season, HOWEVER during the old closed season it has reverted back to what it was in the 70's+80's - illegal to target bass(no C+R even).

If you look in the (book/website) inland regs - there is a side bar "catch + release regs" it is listed there.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,626 Posts
I believe this was in affect last year also and I believe a section of the Juniatta is included.
Sad thing is I know for a fact many anglers are ignoring the regulation.
Sad thing is the Pa. F&B seem to be doing nothing about it.
I know they can't be everywhere but I've even seen fishing reports fron various places about there catch even though the season is closed with no attempt to even tasrget the Bass.
This all came about because of thwe concerns about the Smallmouth population in the Susqy.
So why the lack of enforcement?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your answers but I was impatient on Thursday and I called the Fish Comm. and spoke to a Sgt. Keller. I told him I didn't have my book and asked him about this. I now went and got a book yesterday. Anyway he said The only time you can't target bass on the Susky and Juniata is from May 1st. to June 13. The remainder of the year you can target bass you just can't keep them. No harvest just catch and release. I now see that on page 5 of the summary fish regs. in the book. Look that up on page 5 and see if you agree with that. I understand it now. Thanks again Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts