The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt they will play this year, and not because of any virus. But because of greed on both parts. Players demanding full salary. And especially if the NFL rolls out as scheduled. Nobody is going to care about any baseball games being played in empty stadiums ending in a 60 game schedule and in what would be a joke of a WS..

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
They'll damage the game maybe beyond repair.

Its a dumb league anyway, the uber rich teams with massive local TV deals want to keep it that way, so they won't divulge full accounting of revenues and as such the players won't discuss a salary cap.

Unlike the NFL, NBA, and NHL where the teams and player "union" (use that term loosely) negotiate a deal. Okay, here's the pie, we keep this, you guys get that, and we'll divide that up so every team gets an equal share. Then for a team to be successful it takes good coaching and talent evaluation.

In baseball, a small market team has little chance. They might catch lightning in a bottle once and assemble a lot of young cheap talent and go on a little run, only to see the team dismantled when they leave of big bucks elsewhere, or are traded for lesser talent right before they are eligible to hit the road.

As such I have no reason to be anything more than a very casual fan of the Pirates. If they relocated tomorrow, no big deal. Now for the Steelers or Penguins, I am die-hard.

For the sake of not causing a coronavirus spike that could hinder the start of the NFL season, I hope the billionaires and millionaires can't work it out and there is no season.

Or just pick the four highest payrolls in each league and go straight to the playoffs. Statistically they have the best shot anyway.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
i cant stand baseball. they have to take time to warm up between innings when they just got done playing one...WTH
why sit on the bench waiting to go out? get up and move..stretch. the fans didnt pay those over priced tickets to watch you work out !
just another pro sport full of rich spoiled kids.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cant stand baseball. they have to take time to warm up between innings when they just got done playing one...WTH
why sit on the bench waiting to go out? get up and move..stretch. the fans didnt pay those over priced tickets to watch you work out !
just another pro sport full of rich spoiled kids.

Now bo, you ever play baseball, ever try to throw a baseball 95 mph after sitting at rest for 20 minutes? Muscles tighten up. Even in the NFL the QB's toss on the sidelines during the game. BB players don't have the luxury of a sidelines for 9 players. Maybe a better question is why don't they adjust their gloves and jock straps before getting in the batter's box! :surprise2:
But no worries as greed will wipe out baseball this year unless they reach agreement in the next 10 days.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
No way football is tougher that’s a joke. Maybe tougher physically but not athletically. To make the show you need 5 tools. Except for QB you need to master 1 or 2 things. I was fortunate enough to play both but Played baseball a couple seasons after college. Baseball players are by far more talented athletically then football players.

·
Registered
39,294 Posts
I’m with you 25ftup. Baseball is the toughest, IMO. Name another sport where 9 guys play defense against one guy. Name another sport where the defense controls the ball. I think it was Pete Rose Who once said, hitting a round ball with a round bat is the hardest thing to do in sports. Imagine standing 60 ft. 6 inches away from a guy who is throwing a ball 95 mph and you have about 0.4 seconds to decide whether or not to swing the bat. Or playing third base and a ball is hit your way at 100 mph. You have to catch it with one hand, take it out of your glove and then throw, accurately, across the diamond to first to get the guy out.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or playing third base and a ball is hit your way at 100 mph. You have to catch it with one hand, take it out of your glove and then throw, accurately, across the diamond to first to get the guy out.

And then clean your shorts between innings!

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
And if anyone ever tells you they can hit a breaking ball they are lying. Sure a hanger can be hit and a ball that does not break right can be hit, but a good hook will never be hit squarely. When I played I would take a 90 + mph fastball over a hook any day of the week.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
NBA has the best overall athletes....raw athletic talent.

Football toughest physically. Raw toughness can get you far.

Baseball requires the highest level of a practiced skill set.....and you must have high natural level of that skill set to ever be able to compete on a professional level.

Of course any professional sport requires athleticism far above average.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Good news on the recreation, travel and club levels.
Received an e-mail over the weekend that some leagues in these parts are gearing up after the July 4th holiday.
Since I had no high school games to officiate this year I'll be looking forward to adding some $ to the "hobby" fund :)....

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
NBA has the best overall athletes....raw athletic talent.

Football toughest physically. Raw toughness can get you far.

Baseball requires the highest level of a practiced skill set.....and you must have high natural level of that skill set to ever be able to compete on a professional level.

Of course any professional sport requires athleticism far above average.
Put any of them on skates and see how they do.

Try to control a small rubber disk with a long stick, skating at full speed over late-period ice covered in skate ruts, then accurately shoot that puck between the legs of a goalie, while another guy is poking at you with his long stick.

And if you're a defenseman, do a lot of it skating backward.

A 100 mph ball comes at a batter, he ducks. Ovechkin lets loose a monster slapshot with that frozen rubber disk at 110 mph? Hockey players jump in front of it.

I'll put the NHL's practiced skills against baseball's, their toughness against football's, and their athleticism and stamina against basketball's.

The traditional Stanley Cup playoff is the hardest to win.

Gotta love it. Let's Go Pens!

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
I used to like listening to a game on the radio while I did odd jobs around the house. Now that I have not head a game for such a long time I realize that it was nothing more than background noise. I really was not interested in the game, did not care about MLB standings and statistics are meaningless to me.
Could not care less if baseball returns in any form.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think golf is the most difficult sport invented. And pro golfers are the best athletes. Could you hit a little white ball 350 yards straight down a fairway?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts