The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mossberg 500 "Special Hunter" slug gun in 20 gauge. I've been researching on what Base and Ring options I have. I've only been able to come up with a Weaver base, thus having to go with "Weaver" style Rings to mate up with it. I never was a big Weaver fan, at least in the realm of Rifles, but how is that set up for Slug Guns?

I've only been able to find one base, so I'm stuck with that, but what about Rings? Weaver's? Burris's? Anything else?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a set of good Weaver style rings. Burris, Leupold (not Rifleman), and Warne make good rings. You may also be able to get a Picatinny base for your shottie, then I would go with the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Yes, with the emphasis being on Weaver STYLE rings and bases. Have used lots of actual Weaver-brand bases, but have never liked their rings much.

Almost every manufacturer now makes a series of rings that will work fine on Weaver STYLE bases. Personally, I've come to like Burris ZEE rings for most hunting rifle applications.

I've also noticed lately, that many types of Picatinny-style mounting systems now include that they're compatible with Weaver-style rings, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts