The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long johns, base layer, thermals, call them what you will, I'm looking to get a decent pair. Cabels's, Bass Pro, U/A, etc.. too many choices

I will be using them in Monroe and Pike Counties, for deer and bear season (rifle) and also late Flintlock season. I mostly sit while I hunt but do limited still hunting. I'm hoping to keep the cost for tops and bottoms to $100 total (give or take a little)

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Medium weight Thermastat at Cabela's. Made from 100% polyester just like UA is but about 1/2 the cost. I've had three pairs for about three years now and they are comfortable in a wide range of temps. For colder weather they make a great base.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
UA base layer or another moisture wicking type ... coupled with Cabelas brand long underwear over top. Perfect!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Military longhandles (polypropolenes) work for me.
I have lightwieghs, mediumweighs, and downrightcoldweights.
They would be in your price range.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
That's what I use for really cold weather, military issued polypro. You can pick them up for around twenty bucks top or bottom. A pair of those over the Thermostats keeps me warm in very cold weather.

Any medium weight polyester will make a great base. I don't know why a lot of guys feel they have to pay an extra $20.00-30.00 to have that UA tag sewn on, good marketing I guess? A $20.00 polyester garment made by any manufacturer will wick moister and keep you just as warm as a $ 50.00 polyester garment made by UA. You just don't get the tag.

Note: What most manufacturers call medium weight is actually a light weight garment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A thin poly layer under milsurp cold weather top & bottoms has been a good combo for me when sitting on a stand in lousy weather.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I hunt Monroe/Pike and it's rare to see temps under 20 'cept in flintlock. I go to the big box sports store and buy poly-pro light or medium weight top and bottoms in the ski section. Usually under $25.00 for the pair...

I used to wear wool pants over them covered w/ a light cam orange pants but I have graduated to a set of Browing 'Hydro Fleece' bibs w/ thinsulate and gore-tex. I have a lighter pair of camo pants I wear on warmer days so I'm not too warm. Same pants with/without the poly works for spring gobbler...

U/A is overpriced. My first set of Poly-pro was $12.00 for the pair from Campmor around 1980, they didn't sell medium/heavy weiht stuff yet.

Everyone at camp couldn't understand how that thin pair of 'plastic' long underwear could possibly be warmer than the old 'waffle weave' cotton they all were wearing...I had been reading about wicking underwear in Backpacker magazine back b/4 it got all glitzy and hyped by merging w/ Wilderness Camping & other yuppie mags.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info!!!

Paul

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I've had good luck with the Duofold products over the years.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Looking for very good cold weather underwear check this out http://WWW.GIJOESMILITARYSURPLUS.COM. PH 757-852-9200. Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWS) Military Polypro Tops crew neck $17.56 Bottoms $17.56. If it keeps GI Joe in Alaska warm it should be O.K. for us Pa deer hunters. I have used mine for two seasons,great stuff. UA is way overpriced in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
That's the stuff Hern, JimM and I are talking about and it keeps you very warm. That is a pretty good price too, I paid about $20.00 a piece for mine 3-4 years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts