The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got an older Lyman carbine barrel that has quite a few pits in it,.50 cal , my question is is it better to get it relined since I don't want to go to a .54 and not sure if there is enough metal there. Don't want to replace it, because its the octagon to round and you just can't find the barrels anymore.
I will send it to Bobby Hoyt since I have heard a lot of good thing about his work.
Do you think this is a good choice?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Personally, if the barrel is 15/16th, I would go with a 54. slightly better ballistics in nearly every category. It can hit harder without having to go faster. Bucks wind better, and the gun will be an ounce or two lighter. Bobby does first rate work.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
If you are getting 1 1/2" or less groups at 50 yds,don't worry about the pits.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 22" Carbine barrel,Hex to Round,thats why I was thinking to reline,doesn't hold a good group, the bad pitting is 4" of the muzzle and 2" of the chamber,

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Get another barrel and get Bobby to make this a smoothie for shot & small game.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yes, he can, but, it costs more. that is what I had in mind for the 54, and he said, if you don't mind going to 56 or 58 I can do it for less. Since I already had 58 molds I went that route. It also takes him less time to do the re-bore, I believe, and as busy as he is he is looking to get things out the door as quickly as possible.

I kinda have an advantage over some , because I only live less than 30min from his shop, so I just take a drive and stop in. Be patient with him he is a one man show and there are no less than at least 3 machines running at most times,plus the phone ringing off the hook. If I catch him at a slack time he is extremely down to earth and a pleasure to be around, and knowledgeable about guns beyond belief. I believe he would talk to you all day ,if he wasn't so busy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts