The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - recently got another 8mm mauser, sporterized it, was wondering if anyone knew of somewho who rebores(?) for a larger caliber - .35 whelan. Which is better - A re-bore to the larger caliber or to have the barrel "lined" to the new one? I want to keep the original barrel, as the stock is already bedded and it is original and in great shape. Any thoughts / recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The 35 Whelan has a bore diameter of .358; the 8mm Mauser is .323. You cannot rebore to another diameter. You could rechamber using the same bore diameter. I have not heard of barrel liners for many years, cannot tell you about that, but I am sure it would be very expensive. You can re-chamber and then expand 30-06 necks to accept 8mm bullets. This would be a great big game cartridge with easy to find brass.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
lots of people rebore rifles to larger bore diameters, certainly going to 35 cal from and 8mm bore is ok. It was very popular in the 1950-60 when barrels were expensive and local 'smith labor was cheap. the advantages are you keep your blueing and don't need to blue, crown, and mount sights. there are questions about the interior surface being rough as it is reamed, not hammer forged, etv.

The cost to rebore and chamber would be about $300. This needs to be compared to a new barrel mounted/chambered/ed blues/sights,crowned etc. I had one rebored years ago (308-358).

Recently I favor rebarreling.

Generally lining is not an option for center fire rifles. It is OK for RF. If you had a clasic 22rf and the barrel was rusted, then lining might be and option. All the liners I've seen where reamed out 22 to .30 then epoxy glued tubes inside existing barrel, not a high pressure CF design.

try for rebore.
http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/rebore_prices.html
there is also a guy in Washington state that did one of mine, can't remember his name.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
squirrelmasters said:
Hey guys - recently got another 8mm mauser, sporterized it, was wondering if anyone knew of somewho who rebores(?) for a larger caliber - .35 whelan. Which is better - A re-bore to the larger caliber or to have the barrel "lined" to the new one? I want to keep the original barrel, as the stock is already bedded and it is original and in great shape. Any thoughts / recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
JES Reboring

Give Jesse a call. He does reboring jobs for a living. Did a nice job with my custom 444. He IS NOT a gunsmith, but he can remove barrels to work on them. I'd suggest you have your barrel removed, send him just the barrel and then have your local smith rechamber/headspace the barrel when they put it back on. Jesse is a good guy to deal with and priced right too.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
ER Shaw rebarrels all manner of guns with their own barrels of many weights and calibers. There is a fellow in Washington state that does liners, but generally only in low pressure cartridges like 44-40, 32-20 etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts