The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years ago I borrowed a ML off of my Step-dad that he hadn't used in a long time. I took it apart and started cleaning it and the ramrod got stuck in the barrel. It became a two man job to get it out and even then the tip broke off and was stuck. Once we got that out I got it all cleaned up and sighted in, first hunt with it actually took two doe. Since that time when I go to clean it the ramrod hangs up but has only got stuck one other time but it came out much easier. I have hunted with it for 3 years now and haven't had an issue with it firing and it typically goes off first try no problem. The problems keep coming when I clean it. Fast forward to this past off season I take it apart to clean it, start to run a patch down pull up the rod and patch fell off in barrel. Try a couple more times and each patch gets stuck in barrel. Each time I was trying I noticed the rod would hang up a little and them come up empty. I cannot see the patches through the touch hole so they are hung up before the end of the barrel. I have tried to get them out to no avail. Is there something wrong inside my barrel? Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
You've probably got a rough spot in the barrel due to pitting from the gun being improperly or not cleaned when you're step dad had the gun. Patches will get hung up in this area. Can you see a discolored area when you shine a light in the barrel? If its not that then maybe you have a burr of metal on one of the lands of the rifling that is catching the patches when you run them through that spot in the bore. There isn't much you can do with pitting, but with a burr you can smooth it down by wrapping the cleaning rod in steel wool and burnishing the bore by running this rod with the steel wool through the bore several times.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Or possibly a ringed barrel.Co-worker had same problem.If you have a drop in bore lite look for a dark ring or run your fingers on the flats of the barrel.Try to feel if there is a spot on any of the flats where you feel a "bump".

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
What do you have on the end of your ramrod and what is its diameter? Don't know what kind of gun you have and whether it has a patented breech? Does it get stuck over an area or in one very specific hard spot? If you have a patented breech you might be jamming the jag into the end of the breech plug and getting stuck there, one reason you will never see the patch thru the flash hole. In a patented breech plug the hole diameter is significantly smaller than the bore of the barrel. If the tip of your jag is small enough to enter the chamfered end of the breech plug it will get stuck and pull off the patch. A patch puller will go into the end of the plug and take care of any stuck patches.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
What do you have on the end of your ramrod and what is its diameter? Don't know what kind of gun you have and whether it has a patented breech? Does it get stuck over an area or in one very specific hard spot? If you have a patented breech you might be jamming the jag into the end of the breech plug and getting stuck there, one reason you will never see the patch thru the flash hole. In a patented breech plug the hole diameter is significantly smaller than the bore of the barrel. If the tip of your jag is small enough to enter the chamfered end of the breech plug it will get stuck and pull off the patch. A patch puller will go into the end of the plug and take care of any stuck patches.
I hadn't considered this, but definitely could happen if you have one of the ramrods with a straight brass tip with concave end. A flared tip ramrod might cure the issue if this is what is causing your problems, as it would not be able to enter the patent breech hole.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
did you take the breech plug out ?
I would hope he didn't. Not a good idea to mess around with removing breech plugs unless they are on something like an inline that boasts a removable plug. If its a standard plug, then do not remove it, as you could surely damage the plug.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Never saw a need of ANY kind to remove that breech plug.You need a tool to remove it to begin with.A co-worker tried with a wrench and REALLY mangled his up!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
vice and a wrench, had a round ball stuck, did not have a puller, in breached, or unplugged the plug and lightly tapped the oblong ball out, this was in about 72 or 73 , I get the idea that what I have and what is being talked about is two different things, . If I take the plug out of the end of my barrel you will be able to see right thru it, it not complicated,

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the tips. I have attempted to remove the breech. As far as the make of the ML, that is a good question. There are no markings on it that indicate the manufacturer. I will throw a couple of pictures up later, maybe someone may know from seeing it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If the rifle is in decent shape, you could consider getting it re-bored to the next highest caliber. For example, if your current caliber is .50, you may wish to go .54. And by doing this you likely get your barrel twist to what you want. Fast or slow.

Just a thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts