The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know someone in eastern pa that does bluing? Looking for a 12ga barrel to be re blued. Any ideas of pricing?

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
What type of shotgun is this from? Looking for a cold or hot blue?

·
Super Moderator
12,805 Posts
If I recall correctly regluing isn't cheap....for a gun like a Mossberg it's probably not practical unless you can get it done cheap...or you just REALLY want it done...

There are home solutions to touch up or even do the entire thing yourself...might be another option...

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
If you want it like factory, then it will need hot bluing.

Might just be cheaper to buy another barrel, of which Mossy 500s are aplenty.

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
I'll agree, if this is from a Mossberg, I wouldnt spend much money on it, or consider doing it myself.

Cold bluing isnt all that difficult, most of the work is done in the prep stage. You'll need an acid bath to help take off the old bluing, along with sandpaper and steel wool. Get it cleaned and sanded down to 400 grit.

The bluing part is simple. Wipe the bluing agent onto the barrel as evenly as possible, then hang it in a humid area. After the required hanging time, it gets drenched in boiling distilled water; rub down lightly with steel wool and repeat until you have the desired look on the barrel(I usually blue 5 times). After the last time, wipe down with Rem-Oil. Plan on using at least half a bottle as it will be absorbed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts