The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said never but I did purchase the Recruit cross bow the other day to get back into archery hunting.The compound bow I just had the pass on,I been bow hunting for 40 plus years but do to a few more herniated disc both high and low the days of bow hunting has been on the back burner the last 3years.
I wanted a entry level bow and for 249.00 it was a decent price.I did assembly it on Friday night and tried it on Saturday at the gun.
The range has 2 different target a block and a bag target: I did choose the bag target I set the target up at 10 yards double checked point of impact line of sight looking threw the red dot scope and let the arrow fly nice center of target about 4 to 5' high.
I now pushed the target back to 15 and 25 yards again center about 2" high at the 25 yard.I did not change or move the turrets on the red dot .I need to see what the other 2 dots will do I just may see were the arrow starts to drop at what distance.I am not crazy about the red dot scope seem to have a glare inside the tube dots are clear.
The trigger breaks like glass and I did shorten the cocking rope about 2" no need to pull above the waist line .Now I need to set the broad heads up to see if they fly like the target bolts.
I also checked the tiller on the limbs and the cams are sitting the same upper and lower,bow is quite and the arrow fly straight

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
The Recruit is a nice little bow for sure. It should serve you well. The factory optic is pretty crappy. I would upgrade that.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea which scope to purchase I am not looking for a high dollar scope I here tru-glo is decent hawk scope out of my budget for now

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
I like Hawkes but their basic crossbow scope is about $85 bucks. I have owned several TruGlos and they always were fine for me, considering the price. You might check with forum sponsor Arrowhead. He may have some lightly used or even new scopes laying around that were swapped off of bows that he is looking to unload.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to ask another question what do you guys do to DE-cock the bow when returning to camp.I read in n.y.s. you must have the bow un-cocked for transport.I will be on private land also have my quad to get back to camp.I think the best way is to make a small 12x12 target and shoot the bolt into the box.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Rinehart and Morrell both make inexpensive discharge targets to use at camp or truck. If you have some old arrows you can also just shoot into the ground.

Like dpms said Hawke makes a pretty good inexpensive scope and they even have a lifetime warranty. Arrowhead would be a good guy to call. I bought a used Hawke off of him before.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Many target manufacturers make small discharge targets just for this reason.

There are also discharge arrows out there designed with grabber tips to shoot into the ground and not penetrate. Octane and Carbon Express both make discharge arrows. I have used the Octane Thug discharge arrow and like it quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
I bought my daughter one back in Feb. This is my first experience with a crossbow. It is shooting dead on with the first dot sighted in at 20yds. The second dot is dead on at 30 and the third is on at 47yds. I don't know why the third is not on at 40 but thats what it ended up as. My uncle has one and it is the same but his last dot is on at 50, must be the way the factory set them. My daughter likes the red dot over a crosshair so we will stay with it. I wish someone could make a 3 dot scope with individual adjusting dots and a 2-4x magnification.

All that has to happen now is a deer walk into range and she will do the rest.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Our recruit came with the scope, now I see most are red dot.

Perfect xbow for us, have shot numerous models but the Recruit's weight balance and small size fit every member of the family.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Brine said:
Our recruit came with the scope, now I see most are red dot.

Perfect xbow for us, have shot numerous models but the Recruit's weight balance and small size fit every member of the family.
Yes, even my littlest kid (52 pounder) can handle it in kneeling position.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought one for my wife last season. It is very easy for her to handle. Light ,compact and can be adjusted for almost anyone.
I took it out one day last fall and killed a buck.
Got my curiosity settled about them and will go back to my stick and string this fall.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I did try the yardage today and found the first green dot good from 10 yards to 33 yards

Second green dot I aimed at 6 o'clock under the diamond was about 4 to 5" high pushed the target back to 43 yards second dot on the money

I yet to try the last dot but I would say she should be good to 50+ yards

I am heading tomorrow and see how broad heads 100 gr. muzzy and 100 gr. thunderheads will fly

I had no problems second range trip all went well .

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like to report on the Recruit with broad heads at the range today I set up targets at 25 35 and 45 yards broad heads tested were what I have on hand

Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr.

thunderheads 3 blade 100 grain but they run 106 on a grain scale.

I also set the green dots to station # 4 : I did notice by changing the size of the dots it will effect point of aim,I like number 4 for my older eyes.

I first shot the 25 yard target 3" bull eye dead center would be a go out to 30 yards

My neck dot #2 seem to bring home the bacon out to 35 or 39 yards give or take

My last dot at a 45 yard target I did bracket the second and third top and bottom on the 3" circle shot about 12 o'clock 1/2 over .

The Muzzy and thunder heads flew excellent I did have to move the wind age 12 clicks to the left seem out to 45 yards she favored the right side of the target.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Sounds like you are ready to go! Have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts