The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I have a chance to pick one up for a decent price. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have an older version of it ( the 200 ) and got it cheap.. and LOVE it... added a sling to it for ease in carrying and it shoots great after I sighted in the scope. Just have it checked out by a good archery shop and you should be good to go.... Good luck and be safe

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have one and it is highly accurate..The only 2 things I do not like is it is heavy if you do alot of hiking..ALSO never dry fire it..Always shoot the bolt into something to decock it..It can cut the skin off your hand if you try to release the string with your hands..It will hurt for a week..Other then these 2 things they are nice..

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I will be the odd-man-out here, and give you my experience...

The first crossbow I ever bought was a Barnett Quad 400, I owned it for about 5 years, and it was a nightmare from Day 1. I truly believe they have TOO much power/recoil, I could never keep mine sighted well, the scope would continually move and shift around (and yes, I tightened the screws well & used Lock-Tite), I finally had to just double check every nut on the bow before I hunted each time to make sure they were tight (always coming loose). The strings didn't ever last more than 1 season. I considered getting rid of it after the first year, but in all honesty, I didn't have the conscience to sell this to someone. I know it wasn't just me, the archery "expert" at French Creek Outfitters told me not to bring it back to him again, he was tired of working on Barnetts.

In their defense, I will say the Customer Service folks at Barnett were polite & aimed to please (sent it back 3 times). And when I did connect with a deer, I got pass-throughs EVERY single time.

The happiest day I had with this bow was when I noticed a crack in one of the limbs, and was able to justify buying another crossbow. I bought a Horton this time, and I love it...4 years, not a problem. From what I understand, the quality at Barnett is much better now, but they lost me as a customer.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bucksnort...was that a package or anything. That seems like a pretty good price. Nicky, thanks for the feedback. I had heard that others had quality problems, but it seems like recent Barnetts have really improved. This one is a year old, so I feel pretty good about that.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
A one year old Quad 400 should be a good bow. Things to look for are to check the front end and especially the riser area. Look for any tiny hairline cracks. Also see if the actual trigger is plastic. If it is it's an older model. The Quad hasn't changed for many years and it could be new...old stock. The plastic trigger models were problems. It's always a good idea to pull a cotton ball over the limbs too. If cotton fibers hang up anywhere, you will need limbs soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a brand new Ten Point Titan XL with 6 extra bolts and spitfire broadheads. Might let it go; I have all the maintenance equipment as well.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
bandit1978 said:
Could be. Anyone selling a crossbow?
I have a 2008 Parker Cyclone with custom ViperX strings and cables. I don't use it much and may let it go if you are interested. This bow shoots 350fps and has the adjustable M4 style collapsable stock. Has the factory 4X TruGlo scope.

I see you are in Washington County. If you ever get up around the Moon Township Gander Mountain I can bring it and you can shoot it if you wish to try it out.

Here is a picture of it next to one of the bucks I shot with it.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Let's post for sale items in the classifieds, and follow the rules there..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts