The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new to me quad 400. A few questions.

I installed a crank, and pulling the string back to about half way something sqeeks?????

When I shot the first bolt, it waved the fletchings and marked when up with black stuff from the rail, because it is only on the side that rests on the rail. Even the fletxhing that is under the rail has black stuff on it and wavey, not nice and straight.

Last one. I've shot a few other crossbows before, I've had a Barnett Wildcat C5. When you pull the trigger on the quad 400 it sounds like your shooting a shotgun. It is a very crude sound.

Anything y'all can think of do remedy these problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
have you gone over all the bolts and checked to make sure they are all tight

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Not sure I understand totally what you are relaying about the fletching. It sounds to me you are saying the fletch that is down in the barrel channel is hitting the sides of the barrel when shot and the arrow is fishtailing side to side on it's way to the target? If so, there is something really wrong.

Are the arrows designed for high weight crossbows and the proper spine? The cams may be way out of time for some reason causing the string to slide across the nock during the shot which will impart a side to side flight of the arrow. It is also possible that one limb is failing. Check the limbs very carefully in both the cocked and uncocked position to look for anything that doesn't look right.

As far as noise during the shot, the cheaper Barnetts are known for being very loud. I suspect yours is normal in that department.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is tight and the way it should be. I had some extra time between jobs, I threw the crossbow in the car and took it to a archery dealer, very insightful. Got most of the things straightened out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sqeek is prolly from the slide under the bow string.

I forgot my first shot with it, hit the corner of the target, and he said the marks on the flectchings are more than likely from passing throw the corner of the target.

The sounding like a shotgun when you pull the trigger can't really be stopped until Barnett makes a string stop.

He kind of beat around the bush about the trigger sounding like a shotgun, but I suspect you get what you get.

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Take a look at the Muddy Outdoors ZVT. It uses brushes instead of rubber stops to surpress the string. It will take vibration out of the shot and will help noise a little. The one version bolts right into the cable slide area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts