The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the scoop?..thinking about for a starter for my 11 yr old...i know he would like the styling(tactical look) any input..thanks

·
Registered
18,568 Posts
I have held one but not shot one. the Jackal has been one of Barnetts most consistently reliable bows. Very good performance at a excellent price point.

Gonna be a little rough around the edges but it will kill deer every day of the week.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the way it feels...i shoot an excalibur...for him..i think the stock length is short enough for a smaller hunter...plus until he can reach 35lbs on his compound...this will get him out earlier than rifle season

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
You might want to consider a Draw-Loc. He can use it on his compound and it will be less expensive than a crossbow. Think of it as "training wheels" for the compound. You can remove it and replace it with one thumbscrew. Very easy system to use for sure.

The jackal is a good crossbow. It's loud, but it will harvest deer. The optics are horrible, so figure that into your price.

Not sure this link will work but worth a try. Bow was set at 52 lbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFTHgaNgTDw&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
145 Posts
I won a jackal last year and gave it to my dad to use this season. So far it has proved reliable. It's far from the top of the line but it is accurate and quick for a bow in its price range. I don't know what your axiom sounds like so comparatively speaking, I can't answer your question but I can say for sure it's not the quietest thing in the woods. Though, with that being said, if he's not careful, my dad could split bolts consistently when practicing at 30 yds. I don't think youll be disappointed if you choose this to get your son started.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thinking about getting the jackal. I liked the feel of it and the price is right. Those that have this what kind of bolt and broad head do you use? Also what kind of warranty does Barnett give with this?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Have you had a chance to look at the new model called the Recruit? It looks like a very nice bow and comes at about the same price as the Jackal. The limbs are a more parallel design and they have string stoppers built in. (together these should make the bow a lot more quiet) Also, it's nearly a pound lighter. More value for you dollar in the Recruit, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'm not sure the exact warranty they have in place. Last season they stepped it up a notch and customer service is much improved. Easy to deal with now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts