The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The past weekend I took my daughter shooting with an old Barnett Hunter crossbow. At the beginning It was very tight and would shoot close groups with me having to load it for her. She's 7 btw. By the end she was able to almost set the string. It seems like it is very loose. How do I tighten it up again so I can shoot it? I'm not planning on using it this year, but she isn't scared to shoot it and I would love to keep her on it.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately it is a crossbow and I don't really know anything about them. I will do some google searching to see what I can find. Thanks

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
What Arrowhead was saying if it is a recurve style crossbow, the string can be removed and some twists added to tighten it back up. Sounds like it is close to failure if it stretched that much in a few shots.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok, I understand now.

I just looked at the bow and it is actually loose at the front. I think it is more the arms need tightened than the string. My brother in law used to do lifting competitions and he couldn't move the string far enough to get it loaded and now my 7 year old daughter almost got it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Not being real familiar with that bow, I hesitate cause I do not want to see someone get hurt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got one more question.

I just looked at the bow real closely and it looks like the 2 "arms" are delaminated. The painted on label doesn't line up from top to bottom. Obviously, I'm not going to use it, but can you buy replacement arms? I apologize if I am using the incorrect terms.

Mike

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
If I'm thinking correctly (sometimes I'm not) you have the recurve style crossbow. The limb or arms are available and they are somewhat generic, meaning they are all very similar. The best deal you can get on them will come from a search on the online auction sites.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arrowhead you are exactly correct. I found the replacement on ebay for about $30.00. Stinks that I bought the entire bow for $40.00 but this should keep me for quite a while. All I really want out of it, is for my daughter to get a love for the outside. If it works at all, its money well spent.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
mroseto said:
Arrowhead you are exactly correct. I found the replacement on ebay for about $30.00. Stinks that I bought the entire bow for $40.00 but this should keep me for quite a while. All I really want out of it, is for my daughter to get a love for the outside. If it works at all, its money well spent.
I like your way of thinking. I hope it works out for you and your daughter. I know at the store here, we sell alot of pink bows and camo.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the news limbs installed and we are good to go. If the monsoon ever stops I might actually get outside to shoot it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts