The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loving the Barnes Triple Shock X bullet. Shot a doe on saturday with it. Shot was 50 yards with a .300 wsm. She was facing me bedded down shot was a steep angle she was laying at the bottom of the hallow and i was at the top. shot went in between brisket and left shoulder exited start of the rib cag before the guts. straight down. She went 30 yards and piled up.

While gutting i found that the bullet turned the lungs and top of heart into jello.
Pink foamy blood everywhere. Yea it didnt drop her but it did its job with the shot i was given. wont use anything else i have them for my 06 too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
always heard good things about barnes tsx.i would like to give em a try if i get back into reloading.i shot a doe sat.at 200 yds. with 130 gr.sierra game king 270 cal.she dropped like a stone.double lunged her.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
I was very pleased with the results from my 85gr. Barnes bullet....I toppled an 8 point w/ my 243 WSSM @ 90 yards...DRT!!!

Speed Kills....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The Barnes TSX is definitely one of my favorites especially at 3100+. I have shot deer and bear with my 7mm Mag and 160's and have never experience a "failure" One bullet was recovered from a 137lb. Boar. The shot was hard quartering away at 125yds. Bullet entered in-between ham and last rib and was found in the shoulder just under the hide on the opposite side. All others were pass throughs with evidence of good expansion.

With all that being said due to the cost I will no longer load them. Unless you are shooting ultra fast velocity, I feel they are not needed for deer/bear sized came.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea they are alittle much with the big calibers on deer but my dad will be taking my gun on a moose hunt next fall so i'll have to let u know how they do on big moose. But i will be looking to take it on a few hunts when i get the money together to do so.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most people who shoot them seem to love them. I've heard of several accounts of them penciling through, though. This has reportedly happened at both high and low velocities. At high velocities, I've heard the petals occasionally shear off.

If you're using a rifle with modest velocities, the Tipped TSX may be a good idea as the poly tip is supposed to aid in expansion.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Moose + TSX bullet go together like Pnut butter and Jelly! If I were planeing a Moose hunt (hope to some day) I'd be rolling the TSX too.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
its the only bullet i shoot....
x2
100gr 25cal in a 25-06 and a 257 roberts.

·
Registered
997 Posts
killed a 6 point out of .222 with the 53 grain tsx. Really impressed with the 80 grainer out of a 257 weatherby and tsx

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
79inpa said:
killed a 6 point out of .222 with the 53 grain tsx. Really impressed with the 80 grainer out of a 257 weatherby and tsx
I am shooting the same two bullets. The 53gr out of a CHeetah at 4000fps and the 80gr TTSX from a 257wby at 3800fps. I took a big doe with the 80gr bullet this season. She was only about 30yds away and she fell at the shot but was back up and running on three legs. I hit her a second time as she was running away, hitting the ham and destroying the pelvic bone. Once I seen the damage to the heart and lungs I wished I hadnt shot the second time, but you cant let them run hoping they will fall. Would she have taken one more bound or ran another 200yds? It amazes me how a deer without a working heart and lungs can still make a final last dash.

I have shot a few deer over the years with variouse calibers and weights of X bullets (original X, TSX, and TTSX). I have never lost a deer that I shot with a Barnes bullet, some were DRT others ran a few yards. With that said, I never lost a deer shot with any other manufactuer's bullets eigther, some were DRT others ran a few yards. I have never noticed any difference in the performance on deer with a Barnes "X" bullet compared to any other "deer" bullet by the other major bullet maker.

I dont think the Barnes "X" bullets are of any advantage over any other "deer" bullet on standard velocity and caliber cartridges. I think the places that they do give an advantage is when using smaller calibers(25 & under), higher velocities(3200+), and light for caliber loads(110gr 7mm, 110gr 30, 160gr 338 ect.) I am not saying they wont/dont work good in other situations, just no better than anything else designed for the appliction.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea my brother was shooting the barnes vortex TTSX and had a group that was 9/16 very impressed. but if u all like the barnes keep and eye open Barnes was bought byRemington so keep an eye open for Barnes Vortex ammo being discounted so if you guys wanna stack up on it i figured i would throw that out there, And i heard this from my brother who works for a local gun shop. They give me a heads up when things happenwith these companies.

·
Banned
751 Posts
my 8 year old shot a buck and a doe in the same day with a barnes tsx 100 grain out of a marlin xl7 25-06. jellied the insides of both the deer. very impressed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts