The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a citronella spray bark collar for our dog. The trainer at petco said to take it off of her inside.

Obviously she now only barks indoors. Why could you not use the collar indoors?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Takemrarly, I wonder if Petco's dog trainer would have the answer?

Not offering a sarcastic answer just a possible solution.

Please share the answer to your question.

Dean Conklin

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Because you don't want that stink on your carpets and furniture. Get one that gives the dog a mild shock.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next training class is tomorrow afternoon and will ask her then.

As far as the shock collar, my wife is working with her to be a therapy dog in nursing homes...we have been told that they won't certify a dog that has been trained with a shock collar.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You don't need a shock collar. Give a command right before you use the citronella spray. i.e. "No Bark". When you do that, the dog will associate the command with the spray. Then, the command alone will stop the barking.

To get the results you want, you should teach the dog to bark. Then train it to stop barking.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trainer said that, in her opinion, you want the dog to bark if they are in the house and someone comes to your home.

Personally, I disagree with that...I don't want her barking her head off every time the ups driver comes to the door.

Honestly, you can't smell the citronella in the house and the dog gets the message fast.

Thanks for all of the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts