The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took a large crockpot of barbeque squirrel to our health club. It was all gone in about 20 minutes with requests to bring more. Everyone loved it even some of the women that said they could never eat any wild game.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take 4 or 5 squirrel and par boil them until tender. Then let them cool and bone all the meat. I use a 22 rifle now to cut down on pellets and bone fragments. Then I cut up one large Vidalia onion and two peppers and fry them. Then I put it all in a slow cooker with KC Original Barbeque Sauce. And then cook until it is good and warm. Serve on fresh Italian rolls. Can't be beat.
I get the KC sauce at Wal Mart. I just picked up another bottle that is Hickory Smoked.

·
Registered
579 Posts
MMMMMM
BBQ tree rat sandwich. I've had people say how good the BBQ was to stop in midsandwich when told it was squirrel.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You just don't let too much information out. Actually all you are tasting is the barbeque. The meat is just filler. LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us all know how it turns out. We like it and so does everyone that we serve it to. Never heard of squirrel or venison being recalled like beef and pork are.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
when I go squirrel hunting, I take BBQ sauce and foil along, shoot squirrels get back to camp, clean wrap in foil and BBQ sauce and cook over open fire

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't know sure sqrlhntr does but I can tell you that greys are more tender than fox squirrels so they would take longer.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We par boil them until the meat is falling off the bone. Then let them sit in the water until they cool off. Then start deboning them. We don't bother much with the rib cage as you get a lot of small bones in the meat. I go thru the meat at least twice to check for bones.
Made a big mess of it on Sunday and took it to the health club on Monday. They all looked a lot healthier after they ate it. Had many positive comments on the bar q que

1 - 15 of 15 Posts