The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you have a problem with the PGC banning the use fo urine based scent lures to minimize the spread of CWD?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Nope, not at all!

--So there is no confusion, I mean yes I would support the ban.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would support the ban.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Let's say every hunter in the state uses 6oz of the stuff each season. Truthfully PA hunters dont all use the stuff anyway, so the actual amount would be considerably less. Then consider that the state's approx one million deer each pee atleast that amount several times each day, 365 days a year. The collective amount we hunters use amounts toad drop in the bucket. It's just another fear tactic knee jerk reaction and nothing about it's use has been documented to contribute to the spread of the disease. Everyone involved needs to stick to the facts. Cwd has been around for decades. Even the hardest hit regions still have huntable deer and elk populations. I live smack in the middle of the cwd zone from last fall. The one in which thousands of deer tested failed to produce one single positive. I killed a buck less than one mile from one of the old suspect deer pens. And after all the hoopla lo and behold the disease turned up a hundred miles away in the wild herd. We will not contain it or prevent it. But we can learn to live with it and stop treating it like the apocalypse. Show me proof that a bottle of Tinks spreads the disease and I'll buy you a drink. Till then, no, I will not support it. I think it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not stating that there is a definitive link, I'm not sure that there is. But I do know that if one bottle was found to have one CWD causing prion, I'd support a total ban...no matter how little it is compared to how much deer urinate naturally.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
Let's say every hunter in the state uses 6oz of the stuff each season. Truthfully PA hunters dont all use the stuff anyway, so the actual amount would be considerably less. Then consider that the state's approx one million deer each pee atleast that amount several times each day, 365 days a year. The collective amount we hunters use amounts toad drop in the bucket. It's just another fear tactic knee jerk reaction and nothing about it's use has been documented to contribute to the spread of the disease. Everyone involved needs to stick to the facts. Cwd has been around for decades. Even the hardest hit regions still have huntable deer and elk populations. I live smack in the middle of the cwd zone from last fall. The one in which thousands of deer tested failed to produce one single positive. I killed a buck less than one mile from one of the old suspect deer pens. And after all the hoopla lo and behold the disease turned up a hundred miles away in the wild herd. We will not contain it or prevent it. But we can learn to live with it and stop treating it like the apocalypse. Show me proof that a bottle of Tinks spreads the disease and I'll buy you a drink. Till then, no, I will not support it. I think it's ridiculous.
Yep. All CWD plans have been pretty much ineffective. What hunters do by placing bait or by using urine is a gnat in the state of Alaska.

I oppose the banning of feeding deer or using urine based scents until I see any hard connection to those activities contributing to the spread of CWD.

What has happened by some of these knee jerk reactions is harm to our sport and industry.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Banning feeders would be a much better start IMO....feeders are known disease spreaders....

I've had numerous deer come in to my useless pee...haven't had one eat it or actually put its nose in it...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
There are no more American Chestnuts now because of one tree that was donatated to New York. From that one tree it spread across the whole nation. Unless you know for sure that it won't spread it why take the chance?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Danesdad said:
I'm not stating that there is a definitive link, I'm not sure that there is. But I do know that if one bottle was found to have one CWD causing prion, I'd support a total ban...no matter how little it is compared to how much deer urinate naturally.
But the ridiculous grounds for the temporary ban within the cwd zone last yr was not that the urine scent itself may be contaminated. The reason given in the PGC press release was that use of urine scents would cause deer to congregate unnaturally. Seriously, as if it would be any different than one of a million deer peeing in the woods each day. It made no sense at the time and until it is proven detrimental it will continue to make no sense, as DPMS said, more knee jerk reactions.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
It as been well established that CWD can and is spread through urine. It is also WIDELY documented and proven that CWD is most frequently found in farm raised deer herds. It is also well known that all urine based lures come from farm-raised deer herds. It is also well documented that urine from CWD infected has been mixed into the urine used for marketing. It is also an established FACT that once the CWD infected urine is in the soil it lasts for a long, long time. It has also been proven that even treating the infected soil with various chemicals the WCO prions still remain and many years later result in deer becoming infected with CWD once they come in contact with that soil. It has yet to be proven that once the CWD prions are in the soil they can ever be restructured or destroyed.

Some of you seem to think this is nothing to be EXTREMELY concerned about but I can assure you simply have no idea just how wrong you are. CWD could be devastating to the deer herds in many areas if it ever gets wide spread. With the deer populations in many areas of this state there is also that potential for CWD to become wide spread.

It only makes sense to make urine-based lures illegal if a person really has ANY concern about the future of deer or deer hunting in this state.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
RSB, from what I've learned from the experts, the only way to destroy CWD prions is to heat them at 3000 degrees!! I don't see that happening any time soon to any infected soil!! Urine based lures/scents will be banned eventually.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I would welcome and fully support that ban. I have never used scents anyway. If it helps contain the spread of disease, why WOULDN"T we do it???

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
blitzinstripes said:
Danesdad said:
But the ridiculous grounds for the temporary ban within the cwd zone last yr was not that the urine scent itself may be contaminated. The reason given in the PGC press release was that use of urine scents would cause deer to congregate unnaturally. Seriously, as if it would be any different than one of a million deer peeing in the woods each day. It made no sense at the time and until it is proven detrimental it will continue to make no sense, as DPMS said, more knee jerk reactions.
No scent I've ever used congregated deer. I'd be happy if it lured one or two!

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I guess my new question is do urine based scents create a problem because the scent itelf may be contaminated and pass on CWD or is it that they cause deer to congregate in close proximity and increase the chances of deer passing the disease to one another?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I would be for a total ban of all urine based scents as well as any and all baiting before seasons start. We definately don't need cwd spreading.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
They need to ban the use and SALE of such scents also. Not just the use. It is illegal to use attractants to hunt deer but walk into any local sporting goods store on the weekend before the season starts and see what is flying off the shelves.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts