The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here thinks spotlighting should be banned? I got word of yet another monster buck poached at night. It is banned in Ohio. I enjoy spotlighting, but if it meant many less poached deer, I would support the ban.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I would support a ban on spotlighting if semi auto firearms were legalized for all hunting. I am in the mood for compromise.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gary3414 said:
Are deer shot at night in Ohio? Spotlights are not the problem. Poachers will poach with or without a spotlight.
I agree, but no spotting might make it easier for law enforcement to make arrests for poachers. Once word gets around, I think poaching numbers will dwindle. I can appreciate your point of view...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dpms said:
I would support a ban on spotlighting if semi auto firearms were legalized for all hunting. I am in the mood for compromise.
Seems to be a good compromise. Might be dangerous in the woods, however.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Nah. One of those assumptions that never happens. Few would use them.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dpms said:
Double Lung 20 said:
Nah. One of those assumptions that never happens. Few would use them.
I think you have a good point. I see so many guys who use bolt action rifles when a pump rifle is much faster for follow up shots and more than accurate enough for any shot in the PA woods for sure.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
In Delaware it is illegal to spotlight and I enjoy doing it when I go to Pa, but I am legit, I dont poach , I enjoy watching deer.......

·
Registered
691 Posts
dpms said:
Does banning spotlighting have anything at all to do with semi-auto legalization??

I have always enjoyed spotlighting with my family, and it is a good way for kids to see deer and some nice bucks at that. That being said, I also know that many trophy deer get shot at night. Unfortunately, I think the bad outweighs the good, so spotting should probably get banned.

·
Banned
234 Posts
I would support no spotlighting.

But I have seen hunters in action in Wv with semis in deer season and I have no desire at all to see that here.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i think the pred hunters would go nuts over banning spotting. every time one would turn a light on a wco would show up on a spotting call. me i wouldn't care one way or the other

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
buckmasters243 said:
Hey guess what? Criminals don't obey the law, or care!
Reason enough to NEVER ban it.

Let kids get a chance to see what they are SUPPOSED to see when they set afield!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
buckmasters243 said:
Hey guess what? Criminals don't obey the law, or care!
Yep ... only the lawful folks would be restricted with a ban on spotlighting.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Who here thinks spotlighting should be banned? I got word of yet another monster buck poached at night. It is banned in Ohio. I enjoy spotlighting, but if it meant many less poached deer, I would support the ban.
I would support a ban also but want you to support mine. Since some deer are wounded in archery season I want your support to ban archery season/equipment?

before I start getting hate mail I tried to do the above in green font.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
lets just make it illegal to shoot deer at night with a spotlight. that will solve everything.

·
Registered
944 Posts
A big part of our summer evenings is taking my kids spotting. They ask me every night if we can go. I'd hate to not be able to do that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would vote for banning it also. If people are worried about seeing deer they should spend more time afield and glass them in the summer months in the fields. Take more walks in the woods and just enjoy everything about nature while looking for deer. Spotlighting I think is a easy way of scouting for some.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts