The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using locust stakes for my tree tubes the past four years with good results. Now have a friend that's getting into tree planting and trying to help him keep his initial costs down.

Has anyone used the bamboo stakes as advertised in such places as forestry supplies? If so, do you use one or two tree stakes per tube. Pros and cons to using bamboo stakes?

At present time, he is looking at using tubex tree tubes either 48" or 54".

My tree planting area is susceptible to flooding and I am planning to keep on using the locust stakes as they hold up well, but his area is midway up the mountain and is not as exposed to high winds and definitely not in danger of flooding.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Here's a pretty cheap link for 300 bamboo stakes. I don't think you'll beat the price. I bought some and they came as advertised. I haven't used bamboo but have seen a lot of people do it with good success. I plan to use them on smaller tubes as well as in my garden. I'm not sure how the 48" would work with larger tubes but I think if cost is an issue than they would work especially if you double up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARDEN-BAMBOO-STAKES...=item33561a4d9f

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's a great price on the link for the 300. I paid alot more than that last year for 36" bamboo. By the time you push them in the ground a foot you don't have support to the top of the tube, so I used 2 stakes per tube, and lot of them have still broken over this winter with the wind.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
But how do they do in rocky soil? Sheesh, I used hardwood tomato stakes the last time and it didn't go well.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the infol all. Really a great price on the bamboo link. Although it looks like with KennyC's post they are not suitable for harder type ground.

Will have to check out the rebar, currently we can get pointed locust stakes for .89 ea for 5' and .69 ea. for 4'.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Neighbor used bamboo on his planting year before last. I was very sceptical but they seem to be doing well so far. He has some loamy soil and some hard gravel ground. I think they split a few when installing but you have that with oak stakes also.

I work with tree plantings with my job and see 10's of thousands of trees being planted or recently planted every year. The standard for the industry is white oak heart wood. They normally last very well, as would locust.

Rebar will certainly work well also. I've also used 5'- 1/2" fiberglass fence posts with good success. They are quite a bit more expensive than some of the wood ones but when you are done you have sonething left you can use.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If your interested in trying Bamboo, try putting an add on Craigs list asking for some Bamboo. I lot of people (at least in Mont. county) have it growing wild in there yards (It's an invasive) and would welcome anyone who wants to come cut some some. I did this last yr and got serveral offers. I was able to cut a half truckload of 1" x 6' pieces in about an hour. Will see how long it lasts....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts