The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learn this from a friend two seasons ago...
I use a ballpeen hammer on armpit & front legs while skun'n Coyotes.
This area took me a little time even with a skun'n hoist.
Now with the ballpeen hammer trick, I spend less time in this area.

This is how it's done, easy peasy...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Great tip Hern. Will use that immediately. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Sure made that look easy.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
I keep a hammer at the skinning machine. It really does work, haven’t damaged a hide yet ( better chance you’ll make a bad cut in that area with a knife than poking a hole with a hammer, in my opinion ).

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you are not using a skun'n machine (which hide has a lot of tension at this point), you must keep tension on hide to preform this trick. Tension is the key to skun'n any critter.

I have a short piece of broom handle, rounded on ends, to poke in arm pits to free hide from legs. I've always use the rounded end to tap/poke hide loose in arm pit area. Nowadays I use a ballpeen hammer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any hammer will work for sure and I never damaged a hide with a typical hammer, but now I use only a rubber headed mallet. Works great. Learned this from a friend and it makes a MAJOR difference around the chest/front legs area.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ballpeen seems the right weight, has two rounded heads and is safer to use (on man or beast) then a claw hammer.
Check out flea markets or yard sales for a Coyote hammer.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I have an old carpenter's half hatchet (the kind with a hammerhead on one side) that I use for chopping front feet off fox before I start skinning. I also have a 1/4" steel rod rounded over on one end to stick through the arm pits and yank the skin down over the severed front feet.

The other day I was skinning out a red and as I got down to the front legs I remembered your tip. I grabbed the hatchet and gave the hide a couple of whacks while pulling down with my other hand. It worked great, knocked that skin down to where I could easily stick that rod in with very little pressure.

Thanks for the tip Hern.

A rip hammer or carpenter's hatchet probably ain't the safest tool to use, a ball-peen would be better. But, it's what was handy and I've been swinging a hammer professionally for forty-plus years and haven't whacked myself on the backstroke yet. :)

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Welcome.
Lugnut, while doing Coyotes, the hammer trick is the Cat's Whiskers
Fox, are easy peasy. I use my thumb or fingers to poke thru the armpit, then peel legs.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yeah, I know how easy fox are to peel, just thought I'd give your trick a try to see if there was anything to it. It works.

I don't use a skinning machine and I'm gonna keep using my armpit tool, even on fox! ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts