The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have poured my own ball for a couple years.Most look real good with no wrinkles.Read on another site about checking the weight on 100 balls and keeping the heaviest and anything less than 1 gr. of that,remelt.Saw where a guy use a hand pruning shears to cut a ball in half and inspect for air pockets.These air pockets will put a slight wobble on a ball.
Well I cut one of the ball in half today that was more than 1 gr lighter than the heaviest one.There it was!

Checked some factory balls and they varried also.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
very cool, also I think if you roll them on a table the ones with airpockets will not roll correctly

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
sometimes we would get some that you could see a small hole at the sprue, we called them "whistlers".

We also weighted the lot as they cooled and recast any that were light.

First nice day in the spring when we could set up and could have good ventilation in the garage our gang would get together and blow off the cabin fever. Get a few guys together and get a couple of pots going it didn't take long to fill everyones coffee cans for the next season.

Good post 410er, with the price of "factorys" going up I'm sure more will get into rolling there own.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
I had my suspicions about casr balls having air pockets, but what about swagged balls? I use swagged myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts