The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
steelerfan58 mentioned this in the Steelers thread but I feel it is a topic that needs dicussed on its own.


Ever since the "leading with the helmet" rule has been an issue, it has bugged the heck out of me that there is no penalty for the player with the ball, basically doing the same. How can they justify a difference? There is none whatsoever.

Watching the Steelers game last night, I think it was the first series Washington had the ball, the RB at the last second dips his head and you can see he blatantly is using his head as a battering ram. I played football in high school and college - always on defense. You knew after the first running play if the RB was this style of runner. I used to say, "Ok, you want to play like this - it's on!" First chance I got, I gave him one on his ear hole. That's where it hurts.


The rule in football is "get lower than the guy you are tackling." How can you not have a defensive player hit helmet to helmet, when the ball carrier is just above knee level with his head? Jump on his back and ride him like Sea Bisquit????

Oh and by the way... what's up with kicking from the 35???? Unless you are playing in a dome, tell me wind direction isn't going to be a sole game changing factor this year!??!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,036 Posts
I agree Ken... What really gets me is, say a running back or receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass, lowers his head after the reception and is drilled by a middle linebacker, safety or CB helmet to helmet.... Does the defense get penalized?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
It all upsets me. I think your going to see neck injuries to defensive players rise. Football players are taught from day one to hit with their head up, which leads to helmet to helmet contact, now they are being called for head contact so they will start dropping their heads which leads to broken necks.

Football is a contact sport and injuries occur if you don't want to risk it don't play.

I actually saw a player from the Bengals wave to the training staff, look to see if there was a flag, after he saw the flag he jumped up and sprinted to the sideline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
HATE them kicking from the 35. what pro kicker can't kick 65 yarks into the end zone? might as well just start the offense on the 20 as a rule. as far as leading with the helmet...i dont have as much a problem with that as I do with defensive backs launching themselves at defenseless receivers. too many highlight real players out there. wrap up for goodness sakes, come on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Peppy said:
I agree Ken... What really gets me is, say a running back or receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass, lowers his head after the reception and is drilled by a middle linebacker, safety or CB helmet to helmet.... Does the defense get penalized?
That was exactly what happened to Harrison on the Massaquoi hit last year, and he got fined 75k by the idiot commissioner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Dan Castle said:
HATE them kicking from the 35. what pro kicker can't kick 65 yarks into the end zone? might as well just start the offense on the 20 as a rule. as far as leading with the helmet...i dont have as much a problem with that as I do with defensive backs launching themselves at defenseless receivers. too many highlight real players out there. wrap up for goodness sakes, come on!
Receivers know the risk when they go across the middle. In some instances, I have a problem with launching yourself into a guys head, like Brandon Meriweather of the Patriots did to Todd Heap last year. But the rule has gone too far. At this point, a defensive player can lie down on the ground, and if an offensive player falls on his and taps his helmet, it is 15 yards for the offense. You know it's getting to be too much when guys like Asante Samuel get fined by the league for hitting too hard. Perhaps some offenses need a refresher course with Vince Lombardi giving the "Men, this is a football" speech. It is a physical, collision sport when played properly. Though I appreciate good offensive play, I don't need to see Brady and Manning play catch in shorts for 60 minutes, but it seems that this is exactly what Roger wants the game to become.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
KenBuck said:
steelerfan58 mentioned this in the Steelers thread but I feel it is a topic that needs dicussed on its own.


Ever since the "leading with the helmet" rule has been an issue, it has bugged the heck out of me that there is no penalty for the player with the ball, basically doing the same. How can they justify a difference? There is none whatsoever.

Watching the Steelers game last night, I think it was the first series Washington had the ball, the RB at the last second dips his head and you can see he blatantly is using his head as a battering ram. I played football in high school and college - always on defense. You knew after the first running play if the RB was this style of runner. I used to say, "Ok, you want to play like this - it's on!" First chance I got, I gave him one on his ear hole. That's where it hurts.


The rule in football is "get lower than the guy you are tackling." How can you not have a defensive player hit helmet to helmet, when the ball carrier is just above knee level with his head? Jump on his back and ride him like Sea Bisquit????

Oh and by the way... what's up with kicking from the 35???? Unless you are playing in a dome, tell me wind direction isn't going to be a sole game changing factor this year!??!!
BTW, I find that running style to be awesome, and football as God intended it to be, and I don't want to see that taken away. From the time you start playing pee wee football, they tell you to put your head down and plow ahead. But I find it woefully unfair that you can use the helmet to hurt people if you play offense, but not if you play defense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Wait until Larry Fitzgerald catches a ball and a defensive player takes out his knee and ends his career because he is terrified of getting flagged, fined and suspended for hitting too high. And why is it OK for a running back to cut a blitzing linebacker at the knees. That LB is watching the QB, and the running back makes him choose between doing his job or protecting himself from a possible career ending injury. But it is not OK to make a WR choose between making a catch or avoiding a headache?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steelerfan - The style of "running low to the ground" is one thing - Yes, that is how you should run. What I am / was referring to is THE LAST second going from a 45 degree tilt of the body to a 15 degree angle just to use that 30 degrees to use your helmet as a hammer. Literally, less than a second, changing your body angle. That is not the style of running I agree with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
I have no problem with a guy running that way, and you also pointed out exactly how you should handle that type of runner as a defensive player. That is called toughness. It is the basic building block of all levels of football.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Its different with an offensive player coming at a defensive player though because the defensive player only has 1 guy to focus on and he can/should be squaring up and setting himself up for the hit. The guy with the ball has 11 guys to deal with and any one of them could come at him from the side or a blind spot to whack him head to head and he's unprepared. I dont particuarly have a problem with helmet on helmet hits because these players have been playing since they could walk and they certainly know how to take a hit. But then again, you hear about players that wake up everyday with terrible headaches and brain damage and early onset parkinsons. If you or I had a job with that kind of risk we'd ask for millions too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
We would--and they do get millions for the job. A defensive player has to worry about blockers. Goodell is trying to remove any semblence of tough defense from football. How exactly should a defensive player, who also makes millions, correct himself when he commits to a hit to the waist, then the guy ducks? If a defensive player isn't allowed to lead with the head, an offensive player shouldn't be allowed either. If this is in the interest of player safety, nobody should be allowed to do it. A helmet shot hurts the guy delivering it just as much. It is not about player safety, it's about Goodell's belief that offense is perfect and sells tickets, and defense is boring.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
The morons created the rule and then had to "enforce" it to prove that they were right.

No matter how many current and former players tried to explain what happens on the field in real time, the NFL brass would hear none of it. Apparently a 265 lb LB is supposed to be able to magically contort his body in mid air to avoid a helmet to helmet hit. I guess a 200 lb safety at max speed is supposed to do the same.

Now we have defenders, who are supposed to "keep their heads up" and avoid a helmet to helmet hit, getting trucked by RBs who lower their heads and simply run them over. In order to stop a mass in motion, you must apply equal or force to that object. You need leverage to do that and when a LB is flat-footed and standing upright, he has none.

They have ruined football from the defensive standpoint with these moronic rules. Football is a game of speed, strength and strategy. Yes, people will get injured because of the nature of it. These players know the risk when they sign the multi million dollar contracts. You want to ensure that you don't get injured? Stay in school and become a lawyer or engineer.

Do I endorse intentionally injuring someone? Absolutely not, and anyone that does needs to be dealt with properly but a guy who squares up to make a tackle and then has the ball carrier lower his head and contact is made, needs to have some leeway. The nuts in the front office have decided that they don't though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Fines should be delivered by a committee of former actual NFL players, not someone with Pop Warner dreams like Goodell.

The committee should be comprised of the following:

Ray Nitchke, Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Ronnie Lott, and Steve Atwater. A majority vote should be required. This would take care of stupid fines that have no basis in football reality, just knee jerk emotional reactions based on ESPN crying because Brady got hit for once.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
It is a farce that the NFL "cares" about player safety. Carson Palmer gets his knee blown out against the Steelers in a divisional playoff on an accidental hit by Kimo. No fine, not even a penalty as there shouldn't have been.

Fast forward to Brady getting his knee blown out on a similar play. Not only was their a penalty but a whole new rule was created to protect QBs.

The NFL doesn't care if John Q. Player gets injured. They only care about it when a superstar gets hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Pats fan??? Not in the least, just doing my best Steelers fan impression. Tired of hearing all the crying about how the rules are unfair, and they get picked on, etc, etc. It gets old fast.

The rules change, live with it. If the players don't like the league rules they can find another career, if you don't like the rules, don't watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BlkKnt62 said:
.....just doing my best Steelers fan impression. Tired of hearing all the crying about how the rules are unfair, and they get picked on, etc, etc. It gets old fast.
FYI.... The O.P. (Me) wasn't insinuating the Steelers are being picked on. I am disgusted with it league-wide. It doesn't matter which team is playing. The RB's should be penalyzed, just the same as defensive players.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top