The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 25 acres that I have Baited for winter Bow.Not the whole 25 just a back corner 5 gal bucket.

I was thinking of taking my son out for some squirrels.Thinking of setting up 200 /300 plus yards from the bait. Basically as far as I could possibly be from the bait

Would I be in violation?

BTW I'm in 5C

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm not to fimilar with the SRA ( i hope that your in an SRA as you saying about baiting for winter bow)but the only thing that i know that you can hunt over bait (besides deer in SRA)is coyote..maybe i'm wrong but thats that way that interpret the book

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You may not hunt over bait for small game in any part of the state. This question should be ask of the local WCO who can see the distance from the feder before an answer is given.

·
Registered
380 Posts
John S said:
You may not hunt over bait for small game in any part of the state. This question should be ask of the local WCO who can see the distance from the feder before an answer is given.
+1

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John S said:
10-4

Thanks, I would think 300 yds would not be considered hunting "over" bait especially for squirrels.But if we hunt there i will call the WCO.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I agree. We had n very elderly uncle who got burnt for "hunting over bait" in bear season a few years back. He basically walked up the creek about 400 yards and sat since he couldn't walk the mountains any more. They burnt him because he was "sitting on a trail that lead to bait". The trail was our car path and the bait was a corn cob from last year laying in the back yard. It all depends on the WCO.

G

·
I don't buy that story for one minute. When you hear the true story you'll probably find the WCO was in the right.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
varmintblaster said:
To the OP:

Why would you want to setup 2-300 yds away to shoot a squirrel over bait?
The OP is asking if he will be lawful hunting small game at that distance from the bait (being used lawfully for deer).

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I understand that.

What I don't understand is why he would want to snipe them from such a great distance.

What ever happened to stalk hunting with a 22 or shotgun?
IMO it makes a much better father/son hunting experience.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't believe he was talking about shooting them long range, he wanted to know what distance was far enough away from his feeder.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Me too, a cob without corn isn't bait and it isn't the kind of residue that is unlawful to hunt near.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
varmintblaster said:
My bad.

I misinterpeted his post.
I have no intentions as using the bait as Squirrel BAIT.The intention is to be as far from the bait as the property lines allow.
We sit and hunt squirrel with the .22 rarely do we stalk squirrels.My son is 10 and I feel more comfortable with him being stationary.We have plenty of squirrels and my son whats to go this weekend.I am kinda bumming out that I baited the area now.

But no we were not going to shoot at the squirrels hitting the bait pile. My son is a pretty Good shot but I dont think he could pull off a 300 yd shot with his Youth Savage .22 lol

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If the bait you are referring to is unique to that area, (nothing like it occurring naturally in your area), and it is attracting skirls, I would be concerned.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
I don't understand why you would need bait to hunt squirrels it is poluted with them whereever you go

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stroupy said:
I don't understand why you would need bait to hunt squirrels it is poluted with them whereever you go
LOL, I'm not baiting squirrels LOL. I'm trying to keep as far away from the bait area set in a corner of the property.

Typically I will see squirrels on the other side of the open field. Those squirrels as far as my knowledge dont migrate to the Bait (corn)I dont think they even know its there.

In any case I will talk to the WCO ask him to come over and get his opinion

1 - 20 of 29 Posts