The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of apple trees I want to trim back this winter. But, I also want to hunt the area. This is in 2B and we can hunt the late season. If I trim my trees and let the cuttings lay and hunt the area, would it be considered baiting?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
I have a bunch of apple trees I want to trim back this winter. But, I also want to hunt the area. This is in 2B and we can hunt the late season. If I trim my trees and let the cuttings lay and hunt the area, would it be considered baiting?
What you have described is a normal farming practice and would NOT be considered baiting.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Now if you piled all your apples up and poistioned your stand within shooting distance..... well...that's a different story.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Same topic just different scenario...would spraying that acorn rage aersole they sell at dick's be considered baiting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Acorn scent, whether real or synthetic, is a bait that is attracting deer to come for what they think is food. It doesn't matter if there is actually food there or not, it is bait.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Hunting over the apple orchard or using the scent to attact the deer wouldn't be considered baiting in my book.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hmmm I hunt a farm with a hundred acres of soybeans, 300 acres of corn, and 100+ acres of clover... and the woods is broken into about 10 patches of less than an acre to 3 acres....

It is not baiting but it sure holds deer..

But what if I paid the farmer to not cut 1 acre of clover, say in front of a tree I stand in????

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Come on they still sell the bags of corn and deer feed in the stores during the season. They should make that practice illegal during the season and have the stores pull the products off the shelf until the deer season is over....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
karl_rominger said:
... But what if I paid the farmer to not cut 1 acre of clover, say in front of a tree I stand in????
I thought lawyers never asked a question unless they already knew the answer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
mackgee said:
Hunting over the apple orchard or using the scent to attact the deer wouldn't be considered baiting in my book.
Your right hunting in an apple orchard is not baiting because it is a normal farming practice but placing apple scent or acorn scent in the woods where ther are none would be baiting.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have a funny story about this one. I was talking to a guy who hunts near the land I hunt on, I just wanted to let him know where my stand was and ask him about seeing deer. As most of you know, I got some bruisers on my trail cams this year and I was just curious if the guy had seen them.
So anyway, we are talking and he mentions that, "Yes, I have seen those big deer", on and on. He continued to say, "I set up my trail cam just in the woods off of my yard and last year during rifle season I put corn out in the yard so he would come close to the house". Now, granted the guy never shot the deer, but he will still baiting the deer in with corn and that didnt sit right with me.
I over-hear people all the time talking about how they put corn near their tree stands, or that I should put some around mine and try to get one of those bruisers to come close. And for the record, I have never or ever will bait in a deer to my stand, thats too easy. It makes me mad when people "cheat".......

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Dogtrnr01 said:
Acorn scent, whether real or synthetic, is a bait that is attracting deer to come for what they think is food. It doesn't matter if there is actually food there or not, it is bait.
False.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
as long as there are no apples on the cuttings your fine
JMHO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts