The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went Fly Fishing yesterday for some Lg Mouths. Stumbled on a bait pile in a NO TRESPASSING area. YES I was the Trespasser.

So question is If I was not legally suppose to be there can I call in the law?

There area is along a Water Shed property I have permission to hunt This Golf Coarse is Totally NO Trespassing and has the bait on it.

The other issue is that I have meet the guys who hunt that area because we are basically sharing the same "woods" They are real nice guys and Local Cops.

So here I am Trespassing finding illegal bait that MAYBE just MAYBE the 2 guys (COPS) hunting put the bait down

The season is still a week or so away the bait is very limited. They may be clean and not hunt it for 2 months I don't Know

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
while right is right, you were wrong, so would be pretty hypocritical to call, no? Unless of course you plan to turn yourself in for trespassing as well.
all that said, it is not illegal to have bait out now, only illegal to hunt over it....you don't know if they plan to hunt so this is pure speculation at this point.
dang dude, you got yourself in a tough one here, good luck no matter what your decision.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
If you're in the SE special regs area, I think the law JUST changed this year to make baiting on private land illegal. Possible they didn't get the memo.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What really gets me is that when I could bait last few seasons I was using the bait to pull the deer off that Golf Coarse.

Now they are using it to pull deer from Water Shed property. My success will be very limited.They have changed the regular patterns of the deer I have been scouting.

So I'm a bit POed more for selfish reasons

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Call the PGC and tell them the location of the bait. They can check and if it is there they can act without you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yeah, and then you get away with trespassing? While I thinkt hey should be turned in, you should be turned in as well for tresspassing.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
archeryman32 said:
Yeah, and then you get away with trespassing? While I thinkt hey should be turned in, you should be turned in as well for tresspassing.
I hear Ya. I should have never been there in the first place. But the corn is still there and I am long gone.

I'm sitting between a rock and a hard place.Don't want to drop the dime since I have no clue on the hunters intentions.
But that is not for me to decide.

I was breaking the law.

Might just talk to the guys and ask them to stop baiting and work it out among us.Probably the best approach at this time.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
if a tree falls in the wooods...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Tail Whipped said:
archeryman32 said:
I hear Ya. I should have never been there in the first place. But the corn is still there and I am long gone.
And that is the typical PA hunter right there. Break all the laws they want and could care less about property lines. BUT......if something doesn't suit them, whine and complain until it's their way.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jayd4wg said:
if a tree falls in the wooods...
LOL........I hear ya. But the bait is illegal and is totally screwing me.
Goin to work it out with them.

Problem is them being COPS they might just as well say what the Heck Were YOU doing on private property?????? Then I'm screwed

·
Registered
384 Posts
I see your dilemna, and I'm not judging you, but I don't know if I could conscientiously turn in another hunter for game reg violations while I was in violation when I caught him/them. That is unless I told them I was in violation at the same time. If I was turning them in to better my situation, rather than for general ethics, that smacks of using the law to break the law. (Isn't that what so many politicians, lawyers, etc. are hated for?) Take my two cents for what they're worth, I just wouldn't be able to sleep well. Yesterday afternoon I was shooting at the bow range and a local hunter was telling me his horror stories of unethical PA hunter practices. Who knows? It could've been bull. If it wasn't, then there are some real morons out there that I hope I never meet in the woods.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Exactly right, if the baiters are cops, all the more reason to call the PGC and have them caught. If the OP isn't going to do anything but whine about what to do he shouldn't have posted it here to begin with.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
In my opinion, baiting is alot worse than trespassing on a golf course while fishing. I wouldnt do either of them, but man you guys are acting like he just walked onto a deer farm and blasted a buck in a pen. It was a golf course, not a farm. Turn them in!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John S said:
Exactly right, if the baiters are cops, all the more reason to call the PGC and have them caught. If the OP isn't going to do anything but whine about what to do he shouldn't have posted it here to begin with.

Intentions were not to Whine. Just looking for some thought and input.

But just like alot of things put on HPA replies seem to be so negative and usually implode on the OP's.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You really have yourself in a pickel...1.you were tresspassing and admitted to it online 2.your hunting will be slim if they are going to continue to bait 3.you know about the bait and in theory will be hunting in the area of bait so you are breaking the law 4.if you talk to the cops they will know you were tresspassing 5.if you call the GC your ground could be shut down...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
171farm said:
You really have yourself in a pickel...1.you were tresspassing and admitted to it online 2.your hunting will be slim if they are going to continue to bait 3.you know about the bait and in theory will be hunting in the area of bait so you are breaking the law 4.if you talk to the cops they will know you were tresspassing 5.if you call the GC your ground could be shut down...
EXACTLY
. But the area I hunt may be OK I am at least a 1/4 mile from the bait site. I know I do not set the range parameters the WCO would but I feel very confident.

Admitting Tresspassing online oh-well

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Harrysigafoo said:
Either drop the dime to the PGC or just forget it. You are asking for problems, negotiating with two baiting cops!!!!
I do not Know if these guys are HPAer's but if they are with all the area I mentioned and I'm in 5C they will know whats going on.

Perhaps if they read this things will get cleaned -up.

This Brings Up a Valid Point. If we think there is Illegal things happening WE SHOULD NOT POST ON ANY SITE. JUST MIGHT CLUE IN THE PERPS.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts