The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question for you baitcaster guys. What is it that you like in a baitcaster compared to a spinning reel or what are the pros and cons. I have never really used a baitcaster often so I was looking for some info. This would be basically for bass fishing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The only real advantage I see is, a baitcaster will handle heavy mono better than a spinning reel. I can put 25 lb mono on a baitcasting reel and it will cast the same as 8 lb. I can cast a 1/8 ounce, or heavier lure further with a baitcaster, anything lighter than 1/8 ounce a spinning reel will cast further.
Some will say you can control your cast better with a baitcaster, because your thumb is always on the line controling the distance, but this can also be done with a spinning reel .
A spinning reel is much easier to learn how to skip baits, although, I can skip just as well with a baitcaster, right or left handed, but this took years of practice.
It's impossible to throw live bait with any kind of distance using a baitcaster, a spinning reel is more suited for this.
I like and use both types of reels, they each have their purpose.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i have both. Depends on the type of bait I throw which gets the nod. My baitcasters I use for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and frogs. They need a faster reel to make the work and have a better gear ratios for the type of bait to throw. I use my spinning reels for tubes and slower types of baits.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
My baitcaster on the meatstick with heavy line gets the nod around heavy cover. The baitcaster also gets the nod for most crankbaiting, spinnerbaiting and big topwaters. The spinning reel is invaluable with diminutive baits, particularly in clear water.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Very rarely use the spinning reels anymore once I learned the versatility of a baitcaster. Dropshot and finesse is about the only time I now pick up a spinning reel. Everything else goes on the bc's. The retrieve speeds you can get out of a baitcaster allow you to do so much more than a spinning reel can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts