The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back last nite. At 6:45 one coyote came out of pines , 60 yards. I couldn't see well through my scope so I got her in my crosshairs and turned on the kill light and she spooked ! She Ran off back to where she came out. I sat there second quessing myself.......should I have turned on the light or not ????? But last time when I missed I didn't use the light ........so I sat there wondering whether to stay or just bag it for the night but being OBSESSED like I am I decided of course to wait her out . At 730 I heard one lone howl . This gave me confidence that she hadn't left the area, sounded about 200 yards away. At 820 one more lone howl at about 100 yrds.............now I felt like I might get a second chance at this one . At 836 she came back out of the pines at the exact same spot she came out the first time. She circled the bait pile and paused broadside , pulled trigger . I found blood last night then went back this morning and found her about 100 yards away back the way she came from .......40 lb female. My final thoughts on this one .........I scouted this place for months every single snow storm , watching and logging where the tracks came from and went to ..........and felt I knew where they were spending most of their time. Last 2 times I tracked prints , the males tracks (bigger of the 2) were not there. And last night she came to feed alone ....... And ...... She howled twice......seemed maybe looking for him........I'm thinking I actually may have hit the male Wednesday night and I just can't find him. I went looking twice so far....but I won't give up ill be going looking again this week. All these experiences I have had in the past weeks are all just the result of my putting the time in and trying different things and ways to hunt these highly keen animals. My wife and I had hunted fox in this spot all season and felt the area may have been over called and coyotes may have been educated so i tried other ways to harvest the coyote there. This is my first season of really concentrating on predator hunting and I'm still learning every time I go out ........i like reading on HPA and hearing ideas......... Any thoughts ???????

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The only thing..i can think of..is leaving the spot alone and go back in a week or so....im sure other yotes will claim the area....since it is breeding season now for them....also in hunting bait piles....why not changing your setup spot next time you spook one..you ll still be hunting the bait...just aslong the wind is working with you....just my idea...im a rookie at predator hunting..

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Nice! 40lbs is a big female.
You may have hit the male the other night and he is dead or vacated the area. No snow down I assume to have looked for blood?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Nice job! I am a little lerry of the kill light. I was afraid of the brightness scaring them off. Way to stick with it and get the job done!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.hunting is my passion and it really feels good when a game plan comes together.glad I was able to share it .feels like I might have won the fight.this time!the battle will continue.thats for sure

G

·
Nice. That is one big girl for sure. Sounds like your determination and dedication spilled blood to the ground.

What caliber and bullet do you use? Could have heard the click of the button turning on the kill light?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Used a Stevens 223 .55 grain bullet.i used my tripod to shoot off of which enabled me to gentle hold on button without it clicking which leads me to belive it was solely the light that spooked her.thanks for everyone's responsej

1 - 17 of 17 Posts