The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one uses baits or scents when predator hunting if so what do you use? I was thinking of using some sardines for trapping would that also work for baiting when hunting. Also I have two distress mouth calls I have a primos still mouse squeker and the flextone distress rabbit should I use both or one since I'll be using my rabbit decoy.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Some folks use 'cover scent' to hide human odor.
Some use a pee based spray (called misting) or Skunk essence.
Another good cover scent is to walk through the barn yard.
Sardines break down fast. The oil they are packed in does not. Fish oil is a very good winter time bait/lure for Canines because it holds up to cold temps.
Having said the, if'n you are talking about using bait for hunting Coyotes, I usually like to start my bait staitons before Deer season so Coyote know where they are. Likely ole Groundhog den fixs my needs, so bait (Beaver-Muskrat-Mink or Coon carcass, or Deer scraps or Pig's liver or Horse meat) goes down the hole and covered. Fish oil and Skunk essence is added as needed.
I wouldn't rely on Sardines alone for long term, season long bait station.

Using 2-3-4 different sounds at a stand will not hurt when using a decoy or no decoy. Changing sounds (like changing fish'n lures) may be the ticket to success.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts