The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just stripped this garden of the old mulch and waiting for new untreated playground mulch to be delivered. I went with this idea (from Mother Earth News) because the thin top soil is hiding rocks the size of our Buick. The bags are from Lowes store at $1.50 per bag. This will be the third year for this garden. Got a little horse poo to mix with the bagged dirt. The nice thing - no weeds!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Is this something new to do? Never seen that before. What's in the bags, pretty dark. And how about the pedestal in the middle? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
very nice! The first year I started gardening I built two raised beds and planted bags where I planned to build beds the next year. Got fantastic yields out of the bags.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Do you poke holes in the other side of the bag for drainage?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bags are just clean cheap top soil. Yes, poke 3 or 4 holes in the underside for drainage. Too many holes and the bags dry out to quick. When the mulch is around the bags this keeps the soil at a even temperature. The stand in the middle is a strawberry box. This is lined with white plastic, filled with dirt and holes cut in the sides for the plants.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
On the horse manure. Not sure if you used it yet in bags in the past, but be careful with how much you use. The bags are confining the soil, and it will also confine the poop of course. Careful of the amount of hot manure you add in to them. If it's "green" manure (fresh), be even more careful. DOn't want to burn em up.

Looks good. Looks like some onions in a couple already ?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have seen bags "gardens" in the front lawns of some new swanky Wshington, DC neighborhoods.
was quite the rage about 3, 4 years ago.
The nice thing is: no tilling and no need to kill the grass underneath the bag.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
You should be fine with a handful whether it be fresh or not. Key is, not to get too much poop concentrated near the very young and fragile root system. Key word = concentrated.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Finished with the mulching and three deck planter. Four types of lettuce sowed in the middle section. Top 12 X 12 section wife will plant a colorful flower. And four bags were sowed today with radishes and broccoli. I just noticed I have one bag placed wrong, I'll correct that now! Horse poo to the right drying out.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Been reading some intersting stuff on lasagna layers on pallets to make some grow beds. Layering, sticks, straw, old news papers, top soil and compost.....might try it. Anyone ever do it?

·
Registered
465 Posts
OneLongShot said:
Been reading some intersting stuff on lasagna layers on pallets to make some grow beds. Layering, sticks, straw, old news papers, top soil and compost.....might try it. Anyone ever do it?
I'm definitely curious, I've got about 15 pallets lying in my backyard. Where did you read about this? Post a link?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts