The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i am new on here and new to trapping this year, It has been fun learning so far i got a late start about a month into it now havent done any good. I am confident i will figure it out. I am targeting Coyote,fox and coon. How are you guys dealing with this weather? I didn't take the cable restraint course so snares are not in my bag. Am i wasting my time wih footholds in all of this snow? It is as alot of you know hard to maintain the line in these conditions. Do most of you just hang it up in this weather or does the fur travel well with this snow we get everyday and teen and below temps? Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you have access to a farm, get yourself some hay. You can't go wrong setting some hay sets in this type of weather. Follow FTW's post describing how to make it. It works, it's easy to setup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been giving the hay set a try have a few out right now they are covered with snow everyday and night i uncover them and keep them going and all my other sets get drifted in even in the thickets. I have about a foot or more of snow. Do the critters travel well in this stuff havent seen 20 degrees in about 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Haysets!! No body on here can answer if you have critters running on your trapping land. You need to look for tracks. You can learn allot in the snow. I will tell you this YES the critters are moving and we are pilling-up fur. Never give-up b/c of bad weather

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks doubleT I will keep at it then i saw plenty of coyote sign before this snow came about 4 weeks ago i guess i will just wait them out awhile. Hopefully warmer weather comes again. Good luck

·
Registered
431 Posts
Are you not seeing any tracks in the snow? Something else if you want to use footholds try peat moss. Seems to hold up in cold weather pretty good for me as well. But like Double T said the weather causes havoc for us all, just keep plugging along. After snow I always dust off the snow on my hay sets or push the piles back together after big winds and add fresh as needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure i would be finding tacks but we get at least 2 inches of snow everynight and it snows through the day and blows so no time for alot of sign to accumulate. I am about to go out now and put a few more out.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
MthwsoloCam said:
I didn't take the cable restraint course so snares are not in my bag.
MthwsoloCam...

Your New to this..Please get it Right...

Cable Restraints are NOT Snares...Cable Restraints Hold the animal, they are made to pull tight when the animal pulls and relax when the animal stops pulling...

Snares are made to pull tight when the animal pulls and then Stays tight and pulls even tighter when ther animal pulls again, a snare has a locking devise on them to keep them from relaxing...which in the end, kills the animal from strangulation...

Cable Restraints do not kill...Snares Do!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have to disagree with Mr Woodywoodduck On his statement 'Cable restraints do not kill..Snares do'.The name 'Cable Restraint'is nothing more than a politicly correct name for a snare.There is no difference in the function of a cable restraint or snare in as far as the mechanical operation.If I hang one of my Pa.legal cable restraints in Maryland do you know what one of their Game Protectors is going to call it?< A SNARE> I can take a Pa.legal cable restraint and kill a fox or coyote just as dead,just as fast as wth one labeled a snare.The only reason to suggest one is a killer and the other won't kill is the entanglement part of the equasion.If you allow and animal to tangle up with a cable restraint,it will be dead no questions asked.( I can give some explicit examples I have seen first hand, but not on the public forum.)If you allow an animal to tangle,it will die before any of the locks or other devises have a chance to come into play. I don't care how many relaxing locks or break aways or swivels you have on it.That's why it is so important to pay attention how you set 'Cable Restraints'here in Pa.The difference between restraint and killer is not in the device but in the hands and mind and skill of the person setting the tool.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
RUPS you better watch yourself. I can see your arguement but your facts that you are quoting are false.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
You can Disagree with me ALL You want..BUT, IF, you take the Time to READ the Beaver "Snaring" Regulations in the Comic Book and what is a legal Snare for Beavers in PA and what is a Legal Snare in other States and Canada...You will find in PA, We can NOT have the Locking Device to keep it from Relaxing...Som Beavers "Snares" in PA and Cable Restraints in PA are NOT Snares... I really don't care what Maryland calls them..PA does not have a SNare season for Fox and Coyotes...we Have a CABLE REESTRAINT season for Fox and Coyotes!
HUGE Differance!

If you allow and animal to tangle up with a cable restraint,it will be dead no questions asked
AND IF you took the PA CR Class, they STRESS they are NOT Snares in the class and also if you took the class, you are taught to look your set location over so there is ZERO Entanglements to cause a critter to be killed by Entanglement...and IF there is an Entanglement, the Set would be an Illegal Set!

You sir are over looking what a TRUE Snare is and what a CR is...

IF a CR is set correctly, all animals will be alive in them when they are checked... IF You set them Wrong and have Entaglement issues, then yes you can have a Dead Critter and your set would be illegal!

SNARES and CRs are totaly Different!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Rups, I take it, who ever taught the CR class you attended did NOT Stress the issue on our CR season and HOW to talk about them and the Differance between a Snare and CR?

Mike Spittle and Rauph Wagner Taught the class I went to at Elizabethtown Sportsmens Club in September of 2008...
They both STRESSED that PA has a Cable Restraint season and STRESSED the use of RESTRAINT..Meaning it Restrains the animal and does NOT Kill like a Snare does!

Sounds form how some refer to CRs as Snares as if Ralph and Mike are the Only Instructors STRESSING the Wording and MEANING of a CR and that IF We all WANT to continue to keep our CR season, we will call them EXACTLY WHAT they are and NOT what some feel they are!

·
Registered
356 Posts
MthwsoloCam said:
Hey i am new on here and new to trapping this year, It has been fun learning so far i got a late start about a month into it now havent done any good. I am confident i will figure it out. I am targeting Coyote,fox and coon. How are you guys dealing with this weather? I didn't take the cable restraint course so snares are not in my bag. Am i wasting my time wih footholds in all of this snow? It is as alot of you know hard to maintain the line in these conditions. Do most of you just hang it up in this weather or does the fur travel well with this snow we get everyday and teen and below temps? Thanks
nope ive been doing good in this weather. in this one place i set in the woods. the ground was not frozen at all and i saw a couple sets of tracks that gave me some good information its not bad. look for tracks follow them a while.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mr Woodyduck and Mr Double T. Before you guys go off the deep end and start telling me I don't know what I am talking about or questioning weather I took the Cable restraint course you need to take the time and really read what I wrote.Nowhere in what I wrote did I advocate using entanglement in Pa.I used the entanglement subject to show that what is called the Cable Restraint can be just as lethal as what is called a Snare if the Cable Restraint is used improperly. Mr Double T said I made false statements. I would like him to say what I said that was false.I responded to the statement'Cable Restraints don't kill
Snares do'.That statement in and of it's self is false.The simple fact is that even with a so called 'relaxing lock'if the cable is allowed to wrap around anything solid, the animal will expire the same as with a snare.That is a fact as explained in the Cable restraint course.That is what I said period. All the other stuff you guys read into it.
The only reason I even replied was to let someone with less experience know that just because these devises are called Cable Restraints they are not automatically non lethal.You have to use them correctly to make them non lethal.
Do me a favor and think about what was actually written and don't read more into it than what I actually said.
Next time you see Newt Sterling or Slim Pederson at a convention ,bet them they can't kill something with a Cable Restraint and see what their reaction is ,then get back to me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DoubleT.I just now saw your reply to the entry I made about the difference between snares and cable restraints.You commemted that the statements I made were false.For my education would you please tell me what I said that you think is stated wrong.Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts