The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a cabin in Lycoing county with a 20 yr old well. The wate comming out of the well is hard with high levels of iron and I assume sulfer. It has a slight rotten egg smell, which usually clears up after a few days. We are waiting for the water tests to come back soon). We do shock it with bleach or Peroxide once or twice a year. The main issue we have with the water is the Taste. It just tastes terrible. Anyone have any experience/suggestions on how to remedy the situation. (somone recommend a green sand system to help remove the iron, but I'm not sure if this will help wtih the taste. Tried inline carbon filters but they didn't help.

Thanks for any suggestions...
KingRon

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you want drinkable water the only real (and safe) solution is to have a professional install a system to take care of it. There could be a lot of bad things in the water you might not even know of.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I agree with PA Archer at least have the water tested , most labs have a kit You can buy and return it to Them for a report , then go from there , most likely with a professional
Tom

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water is currently Safe (and drinkable if you hold your breath, or mix in a little burbon). It's been tested several times over the years and found safe. I am waiting for the results from the Testing co. (paid for by the gas co.) I would like to know if others had solved this problem before and how, before I get estimates from professionals. I did call several Water treatment co's about 8 yrs ago and got estimate from 800 to 6,000 dollars. They all seemed to have a different solution, but no guarantees for taste. I may go with a professional, for a complicated solution but if it's simple, i may do it myself. (I've done a good bit of plumping work over the years). I'm not worried about finding a cheap solution but one that works.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have the same issue with my well. Safe to drink but it has some sulfur smell and taste to it. I put a Britta faucet filter on my kitchen faucet and use the filter for drinking, making coffee or cooking. The filter takes out the sulfur taste and smell completely. You can pick the unit at wally world for around $30. Replacement filters are around $15 I change the filter every 6 to 8 months.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the same problem with my water. I also had it tested, and the results said safe. I installed a whole house carbon filter, it helped a little. I gave up, and started bringing drinking water from home.
Good luck. Let me know if you find a solution.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
don't go with a "professional". these water treatmant guys are a rip off. if you do some research and can do basic plumbing, you can buy a unit at home depot that will be as good or better than the "professionals". i had two different bandits come out to my place when i bought it and the estimates for a whole house system with ultraviolet were $1800 and $2200. these clowns came out with some chemical they mixed with the water and made it look like it had garbage in it trying to scare me. i had an independant lab do the testing and found out it was hard water and had some choliform bacteria in it. i did it myself and ended up with $600 in the whole shebang and i think i got a better unit. just be aware though, if you go with a potassium unit that the bags of potassium are now about $20-25. when i put my system in they were $5. and the ultraviolet bulbs are $75/ea and you are supposed to change them every year. for a camp you might be better off buying one of those 5 gallon water dispensers and a couple of jugs to use for drinking/bourbon water. thats what i do at my camp. the water there just smelled a little and instead of going with the whole house thing like i did at home, i just bring the drinking water with me.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
We have a whole house filter system installed by a plumber. It is a double filter. Filter one is 5 microns and removes rust, filter 2 is a 5 micron and is a carbon filter. Removes bad tastes. Our water tastes like spring water.

We also, when we get to camp, run the water out of the well, before it gets to the filters. That allows the well to fill up with fresher water. The water sits in that well between visits and gets pretty rusty and "tasteful". LOL

Run it out for about a 1/2 hour, or at least thats what we do. We are ina flood plain, so, the water table is generally high, so we can't run our well dry if we try.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We just went deeper with our well. I want to say another 100 feet down. It's like bottled water now minus the 1.00 a bottle.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sams Club has a hot/cold water cooler for $125. Use your tap water for dishes, bathing, etc. If its a camp used infrequently this is the easiest cheapest solution. If you live there year round then you could justify the cost of a filtration system. It may be hard at first, but condition yourself to drink more beer while in camp, after a while it becomes easier!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Seriously Ron, my water is exactly like yours. Before you spend 100's of dollars on filtration systems, try that faucet filter. You'll be pleasantly suprised.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
burk313 said:
Bring bottled water to drink and use your well water for everything else.
We did that for many years. Got to be a pain in the butt. Used to run to a local spring and fill jugs, but that gets expensive with the price of gas.

We use about 8 filters per year maybe. $80 maybe.

Don't have to bathe in rusty, smell water, and we don't have to deal with stains in the sinks, shower and toilet.

A person that is handy could easily put a double filter system in themselves.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts