The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a mossberg 7mm-08 synthetic stock, shoots 2 inch group or worse no matter what I feed it. Years ago I had the same issue with a savage in 7mm-08 that I put a synthetic stock on it, I solved that accuracy issue by glass bedding the stock, before I go to all the trouble and do that to this gun, anyone else have any other words of wisdom that I might try.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
Let me guess....

The stock is a molded plastic stock?

If you take the gun out (or even with it in), is the fore end relatively easy to twist/deform/bend? I'll bet it is.

Groups---- scattered/irregular, or is there a trend? Specifically, shots close together in "sub groups" (i.e. shoot 4-5 shots...do you get "two groups"?)

I had this issue with a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Shot great for a bit, then went to hooey.

I fixed it, and I learned a few things along the way.

The rifle shot 1-1.25MOA for a few years, then went to 2-3". I worked it over with handloading, and couldn't break the 2" mark no matter what I did.

Finally I decided I'd had it, and before I sold it, I decided to take the opportunity to learn something.

I drilled out the action screw holes and put in pillars. Then I bedded it. It took a little work and some learning, but once I got it right and clean, I screwed the rifle back together and shot the same loads that went around 2" and they came in at 0.6 to 0.7 inches. Yes, you read that right.

So what I learned was:

1- injection molded plastic stocks are generally poor quality, and if you're chasing accuracy, they aren't the stocks to have. Some work ok, some work well, some are complete bovine excrement. If you see a mold seam on a stock, it's suspect, IMHO.

2- bedding and pillar installation; and I learned I could do it fairly well on my own.

3- I wouldn't bother doing all this with a similar stock again. I used that one because I was gonna pitch it and put the gun in a McMillan, but figured I'd take the chance to learn something on a "throw away" stock.

For your 7-08, I'd bet the rifle is capable, but the stock is the issue.

The question you'll have to answer for yourself is whether or not you want to go through the process and expense of making it work to your liking, or is it better to sell and move to something else?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was waiting to see if it was new or used gun,but i have had the same deal with plastic factory stocks.I have worked on them but never got them down to 1/2 inch groups.Not consistently?
Glass bedding does little good if the stock mounting bolt holes are not in line.
One thing i found on a Mosseberg i played with,the front bolt was a little too long? When it was tight it was not holding the action solid in the stock. I didn't want to shorten the front bolt so i made a brass spacer for under the bolt head and put it back in. This helped a lot,plus trying different loads.
I wish you lived near by,i would love to give you a hand.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
I will just about guarantee that Mossberg stock fore end can wiggle a fair bit.

When I floated that Winchester I worked on, the fore end got really moveable once I relieved material and removed barrel contact points. All of a sudden, the fore end could be moved about a lot more than it could before.

Most of those stocks have hollow interiors, and I've read online about using steel rod and such to stiffen the stocks--- i.e. putting in "struts" in the hollow barrel channel area and bedding them in to stiffen the stock itself.

That's a neat idea and all, but always seems to me to be a bandaid solution.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If you don't mind the weight you could go with one of the laminated gun stocks. I don't think anyone make a quality synthetic/composite stock for the Mossberg. I would not even fool with the plastic stock.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was going to suggest that it could be the fact it's a Mossburg.

I have owned a couple of their guns over the years, and because of my fugal nature, I keep getting sucked into buying more. I have one of their AR's that won't group tighter than 2-3" at 100yrds. At this point my options are to fix it or build another. The cost difference is negligible. I'd swear I'll never own another Mossy, but that'd be a lie.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
willyp said:
I was waiting to see if it was new or used gun,but i have had the same deal with plastic factory stocks.I have worked on them but never got them down to 1/2 inch groups.Not consistently?
Glass bedding does little good if the stock mounting bolt holes are not in line.
One thing i found on a Mosseberg i played with,the front bolt was a little too long? When it was tight it was not holding the action solid in the stock. I didn't want to shorten the front bolt so i made a brass spacer for under the bolt head and put it back in. This helped a lot,plus trying different loads.
Thanks Willy, Ill take a look at that. In fact, lots of things to look at. I know I wont be happy unless the gun is shooting well under an inch, heck my other 7mm-08 will do 1 inch at 200 yards.

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
It could be any number of things,the stock being just one.I bought a stainless stalker in 7mm-08 several years ago.I bought in new and couldn't get it to shoot better than 3 inches with any load.I had a gunsmith glass bed it and it still wasn't better even though Browing does a cheesy bedding job with hot melt glue.I sent it back,they shot it at 50 yards and sent it back with a 2" group and said it was fine.I sold it to my buddy for a huge loss.

I bought a compact synthetic stocked model 7 in .243 for my son.It shot about 2" groups which was fine considering he would be shooting that far.When he moved up to a bigger rifle,I dropped it in a Bell and calson medalist stock that has an aluminum bedding block.That rifle shoots well under an inch now.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
Ghost said:
willyp said:
Thanks Willy, Ill take a look at that. In fact, lots of things to look at. I know I wont be happy unless the gun is shooting well under an inch, heck my other 7mm-08 will do 1 inch at 200 yards.
That's a pretty ambitious goal for a rifle that is not made with that as an end goal in its design parameters. I don't know how they're marketing that rifle, but for the pricepoint it's at, "well under an inch" should be a "nice if you can get it" goal for that rifle.

Well, I should qualify that.

If getting ONE group to go well under an inch, that's probably feasible if you shoot it enough.

If you want reliable, consistent groups of well under 1 inch at 100 yards, I think you may be disappointed. There are a lot of factory rifles that don't accomplish that, despite what is posted on the web. A lot of "my $300 rifle shoots as good as a custom rifle that cost thousands!" No, it doesn't. It shot A group, or a few groups, that are pretty good in most cases. Those high dollar customs because they are made to do that on demand. Not "it's hot out," or "I need a fouler," or "that must have been me, not the rifle." Those rifles do it. Period. Factory rifles do it...occasionally.

You basically have three main areas to think about.

1- mechanical capability of the rifle. So chamber, throat, rifling, crown, concentricity/trueness of the rifle, etc. IMHO, if anything is amiss here, it will be machining tolerances that are accepted in that model/make rifle, unless something got really out of whack when they made it.

2- Stock/bedding......the fit of the stock, points where it applies pressure/contact to the receiver/barrel, structural integrity of the stock, quality of the bedding, etc.

3- mounts/rings/scopes/action screw torque

and I'll add a 4th-- ammunition.

Roll it all together, then decide how far into this rabbit hole you want to crawl on this rifle.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Had a coworker several years back who bought a Stevens M200 in 7MM08 and put a Leupold rifleman scope on it. It shot amazingly small groups with most ammunition and he bought the same gun for his son, but his sons rifle never shot as good as the first one and he sold it shortly after

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the words of advice, Im going to go over the gun with a fine tooth comb, Ill let you all know on the result.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Cut yourself a few shims from a soda or beer can, and drill a hole that's a little oversized compared to the action screws. Use a few of these " shims" to raise the action and float the bbl. It may take 2 or 3 up front, it may take two up front and one in the back. Whatever. Now, I have no idea what the bedding / recoil lug looks like on the rifle you have... BUT this just a temp fix, but it will give you an idea if the gun has potential if bedded.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, never overlook the scope and it's mounting....try another scope.
Second, I believe you are expecting too much with the 1" moa accuracy...1-1/4 to 1-1/2 would be more realistic.
Third, plastic (tupperware) stocks have a bad reputation, but I have seen way too many turn factory guns into shooters by replacing the wood stock with a factory plastic stock.
Do you handload? What degree of accuracy are you capable of with your other CF rifles and what yardage are we testing at? What is your rest/ bench set up? What optics and rings? What is your test regimen? You are getting 2" groups @ ? yards, # of shots per group? how many groups attempted? What ammo/ load are you using?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If its new you might even consider taking it back. Before you do anything that might void the warranty. But if not I would say the stock it probably the problem as 7mm-08 are normally good shooters. It is like others said twisting and putting pressure on the barrel in different places changing the point of aim. A centimeter at the bench is inches 100 yards away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts