The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the range today I experienced something that never happened to me before. I had 2 rounds of .30/06 fail to fire. Both loaded from same box of Rem. 9 1/2 primers. I tried firing them twice and all I got was a deeper dent. I haveused Rem primers for more than 45 years and have loaded a few hundred rounds from this box of 1000. Primers have been kept dry.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Pull the bullets and make sure you have powder. If a primer goes off and the bullet stays seated you hear nothing but the firing pin click. You'd swear the primer didn't detonate.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got to pull bullets today to insure powder. Bothrounds chocked full of H-4350 so definitely bad primers. Will be disposing of balance of that 100 piece box.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
It could be the seating of the primers. If they are not seated properly they might absorbe the energy of the firing pin and not go off.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Typically if the primer is seated properly and you forget powder, the explosion of the primer will send the bullet into the rifling. I say this because if that ever happens be sure to check the barrel and be sure it's clear of obstructions.

Trash the primers and start with a new box.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Primers were seated with a hand primer and checked to be sure they were in correctly. I agree on the possible bullet sticking in barrel so I always wait a bit and then open bolt and remove the round. That box of primers are going away. Guess I will be shooting factory rounds thisyear as I have plenty and when I fired 2 at 100 yards they were touching.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You may want to disassemble your bolt and check the spring. Make sure it's not broke/binding or terribly dirty. Had that happen once with a 308. Luckily I had a buddy along with a 308 and the rounds fired in his rifle, ruling out primers. Traced it back to a worn, dirty, broken spring. A $7 Wolf spring and some grease and it goes bang every time now.

Not saying you don't have a bad batch of primers at all. You might. And as for seating depth...I had problems with Wolf primers not seated fully. They all went off but I was getting a hang fire on the ones not seated properly. Yours aren't going off at all so I doubt it's a primer seating issue.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Primers were dented quite well, rifle has only had 100 or less rounds thru it. I snapped both primers 2 times so definitely bad primers.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Mine were dented too and i tried multiple times as well. My problem was the fp spring. Is your rifle a Remington with a j-lock bolt by chance? Ever see the kink the j-lock puts in the fp spring? It very well could be the spring. Never hurts to check and clean/lube the spring.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rifle is a Marlin made by Marlin. I fired 7 other rounds from the reloads. I then went to some factory loads and fired 10 of them without a problem. Thanks for replying but can assure the primers were dented more than enough to go bang.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts