The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Give her all night. If she's dead, she'll be there in the morning. if she's not dead and you jump her before she expires, chances are you won't find her again. Good luck either way, but IMO i'd give her all night. Not sure what the temp is gonna get down to tonight, but if it's gonna be cool enough, I'd let her go until the morning.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Looking for a recent known gut shot deer in the dark is a tough undertaking. Especially since legally, you cannot put another shot into her if you happen to find her.

Waiting till morning and calling off work if need be is the best option, IMO.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
WAIT TIL MORNING! Gut shot deer don't die in a couple hours or several hours generally... She's gonna need the whole night and then maybe some more time. If she's bleeding a bit and you can get on a trail, following it quietly and be scanning ahead. You may be able to sneak up on her and finish her off or hopefully you'll see the white of her belly and she'll be dead. Supposed to be low 50's to high 40's tonight. She won't go bad cause she ain't gonna be dead long, even if you don't find her til 9 am.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Congrats. Thought I would share a quick story. Gut shot and single lunged a doe last week. Hardly any blood, and while walking to my truck after 20 minutes, kicked her up at 80 yards. Saw corn and found gut residue on arrow. Mistake by trying to track her again and kicked her up a second time at 150 yards further, but this time let her go and backed out. Came home, looked at internet and followed the 6-8 hour rule for gut shot deer. 8 hours later found her alive but not able to move to get another shot into her. The net said the poisons created by the internal damage kill them. Meet in freezer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad you found her. I did the same last night. I trailed her for about 550 yards uphill till I jumped her. She never laid down and the blood trail was getting thin. She jumped up and ran further up the mountain. I marked the spot on the GPS and hoped the weatherman was going to be wrong about today. As I was heading to the car, the 'yotes up in the mountain started yipping and howling. I couldn't take off today to follow-up in the morning and now it is raining here, so any blood is gone. By now, she has spoiled or been eaten. I'm sick about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts