The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take a trip to run some hare in the eastern part of PA today..if there's any left ..(according to the GC -not many.) Well there was no problem finding them
..just running them in the pea soup fog .
I went to a spot I have not hunted or ran at in over 5 yrs. I took the speed demon cold -nosed dogs and they ran like traditional brace dogs
They jumped 3 different hare and the 1st went 75 or so yds...and took 10 min...the same with the 2nd. The 3rd one they ran sounded good for about 100 yds, then back to walkie-talkie and not going much of anywhere. After 2 hrs. I decided to call it quits...The good news is the hare are still there and I did not see a single predator track
cept' an old bear track which was diggin' up the leaves.here's a few pics
Hare tracks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha..
Never seen those signs. I've heard of people shootin'em and sayin' they thought they were cottontail...yeah..Ok.
There were cottontail in the area I was at today but the tracks I seen were hare for sure
... Baldy knows this area.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
That's how we do all of our scouting, just drive around till you see those signs then hunt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Duke,too much snow or poor tracking conditions?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor tracking conditions ..the scent was everywhere ..the fog was just hanging low and not movin' and the temps were in the 40's. I was surprised my 2 beagles even moved it at all.They never worked such a tight check area in there lives like today. They had to slow it down to a crawl..something they are not used to normally. A drop in temps would have helped. The snow was about 3-4 inches but like snowcone ice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The science of scenting is amazing and sometimes unpredictable!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run hare all year round in pa! there is nothing like a hare chase!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't tell anyone where dietch
I've never seen anyone there with beagles....it's a vast area too..I might have to explore it some more this spring .

·
Registered
719 Posts
I took three dogs out today. They popped off a good bit until they got one up. Then they smoked it for a few hours. Of course I didn't bring my video camera and saw the hare a good bit in some fairly open cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts